Midway may be going chapter 7

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J3CubCapt

This article is from the Raleigh NC news and Observer.

http://newsobserver.com/business/story/2456042p-284810c.html

Motion: Little hope for Midway
Filing advises forced liquidation

By CHRIS SERRES AND DUDLEY PRICE, Staff Writers

The administrator overseeing the bankruptcy of Midway Airlines is recommending the company be forced into involuntary liquidation.
Midway has been unable to come up with $5 million in new money to continue operations and "there is little likelihood of a successful reorganization," wrote J.M. Cook, a staff attorney for the bankruptcy administrator, in a motion filed Tuesday.
Cook asked the federal judge in charge of the case to convert Midway's bankruptcy from a Chapter 11 reorganization to Chapter 7 liquidation, a move that could shut down the airline and force the sale of its remaining assets. This is the second time in nine months that the bankruptcy administrator's office has filed such a motion.

"They made a valiant effort, but it's come to a point where we just don't think they can make it," Cook said in an interview. "At some point, the music has to stop."

Liquidation cannot occur without the approval of U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge A. Thomas Small. A hearing on the motion has not been scheduled.

Robert Ferguson, Midway's president and chief executive officer, declined to comment on the motion and the airline's future. He said in February that Midway was talking to several potential investors.

Once the Triangle's busiest carrier, Midway is trying to reinvent itself as a small feeder carrier for US Airways. After a hiatus, Midway began flights again Jan. 1. Since July, Midway has been unsuccessfully searching for an outside investor that would inject an estimated $5 million into the company.

Midway needs the investment to reduce its debt, which has continued to accumulate while the company is in bankruptcy. According to Cook, Midway owes more than $10 million in administrative expenses. "They've got bills from six months ago that they haven't paid," Cook said.

Cook said the administrator's office no longer thinks Midway will find the needed investor. "It's been quite a long time, and they can't even point to a prospect," he said.

Last July, the administrator asked that the case be converted to Chapter 7 or dismissed because Midway wasn't submitting adequate monthly financial reports. But the motion was put on hold as Midway began filing more complete reports and also promised to submit a reorganization plan showing how the airline could be a viable business.

Midway filed the reorganization plan Feb. 21 but did not include specific information on how and when creditors would be repaid.

Staff writer Chris Serres can be reached at 836-4906 or [email protected].

What a rollercoaster! I knew a few guys who flew the FK100 for Midway and loved it! What a sad story.... Unfortunately, we are becoming far too familiar with this story.

Good luck to all involved!

What the heck is wrong with the management at Midway and how on earth have they gotten the opportunity to start over so many times just so they can call it quits again while R.F. pads his bank account? :mad:

call back

The chief pilot gave me a call a couple of months ago and offered me a chance to go back to work for Midway. I turn it down for a number of reasons. Guess that was one of the better decisions I have made since I got into this industry. I feel bad for those folks that went back after the original layoffs and now will be out of work again.

Learguy

CEO Ferguson is lying again!

Heavy Set, I was one of those F-100 guys and you are right, It was the most fun I have had flying. The people were great and we really thought we could make it, but then came Bob Ferguson and I admit I have no love lost for that #%#$%. Everything went down hill with him at the helm, Oh yeah, he put Continental on the same course...unitl Gordie took over.

Learjetguy, Who is this? I too was given a chance and I didn't even waste the .37 cents for a stamp. @#$%$ them! Send me a PM and we can vent about them.

Anyway, here is todays Ferguson lies from the News and Observer. He sounds alot like Carty at AA...

Friday, April 18, 2003 12:00AM EDT

Midway to resist Chapter 7
The chief executive of the bankrupt airline says liquidation is a bad idea -- and also an unnecessary one

By DUDLEY PRICE, Staff Writer

MORRISVILLE -- Midway Airlines said Thursday it has a commitment from investors needed to get out of bankruptcy and will fight a court motion to have its 19-month-old case converted into a Chapter 7 liquidation.
The bankruptcy administrator overseeing Midway's case filed a motion earlier this week recommending that the airline, once the Triangle's busiest, be liquidated because Midway has been unable to come up with a necessary $5 million investment and "there is little likelihood of a successful reorganization."

The motion would have to be approved by U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge A Thomas Small; a hearing has not been set.

Reacting to that motion, Midway Chief Executive Robert Ferguson wrote in a prepared statement Thursday that an investment group has made a written offer to provide up to $20 million for the airline, which is adding planes and employees.

The twice-grounded carrier is trying to reinvent itself as a commuter feeder for US Airways and restarted flights Jan. 1. Ferguson wrote that the only way for creditors to be repaid anything is for Midway to continue working to reduce debt while it reorganizes under Chapter 11 protection.

"We believe the Chapter 11 case is in fact proceeding properly and successfully to a logical conclusion which will reward Midway's various creditors; some with cash recoveries and others with equity recoveries," he wrote. "If the motion as filed were to be granted, no creditor of Midway's would receive any compensation of any type.

"We at Midway believe if a hearing is held on this motion, it will be opposed by Midway's creditors, who support Midway's actions and efforts to date, by Midway itself and ultimately by Judge Small if the question is put to him for a decision," Ferguson wrote.

Ferguson said he has tried on several occasions to meet with bankruptcy administrator Marjorie Lynch, but the offers were ignored. He declined to identify potential investors and refused to comment beyond the prepared statement.

Lynch said Thursday that the motion to convert the case to a Chapter 7 liquidation or dismiss it would not be withdrawn. She declined to comment further.

The administrator's staff attorney overseeing the case, J.M. Cook, filed the motion to liquidate late Tuesday. In addition to providing no indication that it will be able to raise $5 million, Midway hasn't filed a disclosure statement detailing how and when creditors would be paid, Cook wrote.

Midway has been seeking an investor since last summer. In his statement, Ferguson said the airline is talking with two other possible investor groups besides the group that made the written offer of up to $20 million.

Morrisville-based Midway also needs the investment money to pay off administrative claims that continue to pile up under bankruptcy protection. According to Midway's latest monthly expense report, the airline has $8.7 million in unpaid administrative claims. Midway says that only $1.8 million of that is past due.

The claims are important because under federal bankruptcy rules, they must be repaid at the same time a reorganization plan is confirmed by creditors and the court. Midway submitted its reorganization plan Feb. 21, but a disclosure statement still hasn't been filed.

Cook said the disclosure statement should have been filed simultaneously with the reorganization plan showing how Midway can continue as a viable business. Creditors, who must approve on the plan, can't vote until the statement is filed, Cook said.

Midway continues to lose money under bankruptcy protection, according to recent expense filings. The company lost $50,000 in January and $625,000 in February.

Once the Triangle's busiest carrier with 40 planes and 2,700 employees, Midway now operates five 50-seat regional jets and will get two more next month, Ferguson said. Midway has 201 employees, up from 41 in December.

Staff writer Dudley Price can be reached at 829-4525 or [email protected].

Where does Midway fly, what planes does it have,
how many pilots are affected? Chap. 7 is a bad day
for all.

skirt

Re: CEO Ferguson is lying again!

J3CubCapt said:
Learjetguy, Who is this? I too was given a chance and I didn't even waste the .37 cents for a stamp. @#$%$ them! Send me a PM and we can vent about them.

Yeah, I got a recall notice a few of months ago too and did not consider leaving my job to work for a company that is under Chapter 11 subcontracted by another Chapter 11 company (at the time)... But suddenly I'm furloughed again and anything that stands a chance of succeeding looks pretty good. I just wish someone would take the place of R.F. and turn that company around.

Would you still say that if it was MESA? JO has stated that aquiring Midway is "in the realm of possibilities...."

joy.

the turtle said:
Would you still say that if it was MESA? JO has stated that aquiring Midway is "in the realm of possibilities....

OOO that's a tough one...Let me see.... NO F%&$^#*%* WAY!

Sentimental Rant

Man, I hate to hear that Chapter 7 is a possibility for Midway. I thought things were in the process of turning around for the company when they announced becoming part of the Airways Jets for Jobs deal. I know several former Midway pilots since I fly in the RDU area; all of them have stated how much fun it was flying for the company. Heck, I even had my sights set on them for future opportunity prior to the bubble bursting in 2001.

Anyway, best of luck to all Midway employees former and present. Hopefully the company will pull through this mess and become the proud hometown airline it once was. Sure do miss all those yellow tails around RDU, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back