Midway guys at Comair...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydiverdriver

PLEASE don't take this personally, but I heard from an instructor that I flew with the other day that a few (read few) of the former Midway pilots now working at Comair are giving some attitude to their captains. Apparently, some captains have been complaining about the FO's, and they are being diciplined. They apparently are saying things like "We didn't do it that way at Midway." Well, you know what that made me think? If I was that captain, I would say something like "Well, why don't you go back then?"

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but Comair went out of their way to help out these guys when Midway went under, and they would be wise to act like they were happy to be here. Especially on probation! Now, after they have been here awhile, and wish to go into the training department, I'm sure their knowledge and experience would be welcomed to help us make things better.

Just a little warning, and again, this doesn't imply that they aren't great people and excellent pilots. Just be careful what attitude you bring to your new employer. Good luck to all.

FYI............Comair came to RDU seeking the Midway pilots because they wanted more than the 1500 hour wonders that they had been getting in the past. It was a win/win situation for both Comair and the Midway pilots. Being a former Midway pilot, I really appreciate the opportunity that Comair provided. I chose not to pursue employment with them at this time due to another opportunity.

I agree with your thoughts on attitude in the cockpit. If this is indeed occurring I am somewhat ashamed at my Midway collegues. However, I hope the Captains at Comair recognize the wealth of experience they have available to them when a former Midway CRJ pilot is sitting in the right seat.

I wish all my Midway brothers and sisters success with their new careers at Comair. Its not easy starting all over. I know because I am doing it for the 4th time.

Cheers,
gump;)

While I agree that it would be wise and professional for the Midway pilots to "go with the flow" I have to sympathize with them. It is EXTREMELY difficult to switch between 121 airlines flying the same type. I've done it.
Not only do you have to learn all new procedures, you have to UNLEARN everything you used to know. Think about it... flows, procedures, callouts, even systems in some cases.
It's human nature to remark about things that are different. I'm not in the situation, so I don't know what's actually going on, but I suspect that these guys are indeed happy to be at Comair, but just a little overwhelmed at the different ways a plane they thought they knew everything about can be operated (because everybody's own company does it best, right?)

Cut these guys some slack.

Dude, Skydivedriver...I think you're way off base here. The Midway guys are Comair guys now, and from my experience, they're very professional in their attitude and abilities. They are constantly being asked by US about the differences between the two airlines and procedures.

IF you have a problem with your pilot group please don't vent here. This is best taken care of internally, not in this forum (in my opinion for what that's worth!). What you've done in essence is given all the X-Midway guys currently with Comair or starting with Comair, (or any other airline that happens to fly a CRJ) a questionable reputation. It's unprofessional and not like you at all.

I understand that you are trying to "warn" those guys, give 'em a little "heads up" but it just came across rather harsh. They are for the most part happy to be here and we need to make them feel at home. It's their home now too!

We're grateful to have exprienced folks from Midway and other airlines here. It's hard to switch from one 121 to another so please, for what it's worth...cut them a little slack!

whew!

:)

What do you mean hard to switch 121's. You are being paid to do a job. Just do it as expected and called for and written in the book and as you are taught in the sim and IOE. Just like your first time. That sounds like whining that gee wiz it is somehow hard to switch airlines. Easier still with the same airplane. Geez how many times do you think your average senior pilots were forced to change companies by airline economics alone. Get with the program, do your job as expected at your new airline, don't whine, and don't think your former airline makes anybody except your Mom, Wife or girlfriend think you are better than anyone else, or you are in for a very hard time dealing with your new life.

I believe IFLY was simply pointing out the fact that after flying a Brasilia for over 1000hrs...it is a bit hard to break old habits. Apparently there are some skygods out there that can break old habits like I break wind. Good for you:D

Skyslug,
I think you missed the point. I said it as carefully as I could, but again, it's just a few people, not the majority. I too have flown three different types for two different 121 operations, and I know how difficult it is to switch. So, my question for you is, do you think I should have said nothing, and not tried to help warn someone who might be hurt by his attitude? I'm sorry if I offended you, but I am just trying to help.

IFF,
I think from now on you will just disagree with everything I say. I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I do not feel the same way about you.

You didn't offend me, I know you're trying to help. I just don't think this is the appropriate place for it. On the otherhand, I'm not sure where the appropriate place is, perhaps pro-standards, training department, chief pilot, union, etc??

To answer your question, I think you should have said something, but not here (and only if you were directly involved). I think the folks who supposidly have been "offended" by the attitudes of the new guys should go to the appropriate channels.

Again, I fully understood the point you were trying to get across but it's my belief that this isn't the place to do this "professionally".:)

Interference

May I inject a flight instructor's comment? Don't forget about the concept of Interference from the FOI. You can learn procedures to execute tasks that are essentially alike but have small differences between them. When you learn the procedure at a new company after having performed the same procedure for a long time elsewhere, the old procedure can interfere and cause confusion with executing the new procedure. That's tough to overcome.

Pilots do tend to be dogmatic about things. They think the first way they learned how to do something is the only correct way to do it. There are many different ways to accomplish the same thing and nothing is wrong with any of them.

Many years ago I met this gentleman who was an Electra flight engineer. Apparently he flew this airplane for a couple of different companies. He told me that each company raised flaps after takeoff at a different point or step in their departure procedures.

Just my .02.

Last edited:
skydiverdriver said:
IFF,
I think from now on you will just disagree with everything I say. I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I do not feel the same way about you.

Oh come now, I'm sure we can find SOMETHING to agree on. I really don't dislike you or have any personal grudge. I just disagree with you on a few issues.

I hope we someday work for the same company. I wish we could put the RJDC mess behind us and work together to achieve one list between ASA and CMR with a staple to Delta. Instead, the issue devides us and we fight amongst ourselves.

If you're ever in my neck of the woods we'll have a cold one. I'd love to meet you in person. Email me and I'll tell you how to find me.

No hard feelings ;)
If4f

Latest resources

Back