• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MidAtlantic Captain Positions At 01/99 DOH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The bids for the July FO positions closed on 6/20 (one class) and 6/26 (3 classes).

A majority of the positions are ALG pilots. The first class (the bid that closed on 6/20) is one Senior ALG capt (10+ years) and several mid level capts (1996-1997 DOH). I'm not sure about the PDT guys.

The next three classes of 12 each (bids that closed on 6/24) are again a majority ALG. Their sen is junior Capts and senior FO's. The FO's that got a class date are all downgraded capts. The bid did not reach FO's at ALG who never upgraded (note: unless they were a "super senior FO" that never took an upgrade).

The most junior guy in the last July class is around 550 on the combined WO list and has an ALG DOH of 9/99.

The word on the street is the bids for the Aug classes will actually go more senior than 550 on the combined WO list as there may be a mad rush to MDA as Allegheny management has decided to downgrade and park planes rather than upgrade and hire. This is in ADDITION to the regularly sked planes that are being parked. So basically all the junior Capts that are getting the shaft back to FO are saying that if thier going to be an FO they may as well be at MDA.

There were no MDA capt slots in the July classes but there are for AUG. It remains to be seen if any WO guys will get a Capt slot out of the AUG dates. from what was said above I would think they will be APL guys.

Guess we will see.

Last edited:
Wow, what a shock to go from an ageing Dash 8 into the latest-generation EMB-170. I happy for the ALG guys - and I know the junior ALG pilots will appreciate it too with the faster upgrades - right?

Question - who get seniority when bidding a MidAtlantic seat, PSA or Piedmont/ALG given that both are wholly-owned? How is that determined who goes first? Lastly, have any mainline furloughees who selected j4j at PSA subsequently transferred over to Midatlantic after training on the CRJ-200/700?

The Emb-170 looks like a sweet ride...

Heavy Set said:
Wow, what a shock to go from an ageing Dash 8 into the latest-generation EMB-170. I happy for the ALG guys - and I know the junior ALG pilots will appreciate it too with the faster upgrades - right?

Question - who get seniority when bidding a MidAtlantic seat, PSA or Piedmont/ALG given that both are wholly-owned? How is that determined who goes first? Lastly, have any mainline furloughees who selected j4j at PSA subsequently transferred over to Midatlantic after training on the CRJ-200/700?

The Emb-170 looks like a sweet ride...
Its about time some of the ALG and PDT guys and gals share in all this RJ madness. Congradulations!!

In regards to the seniority issue and who will get what. ALG, PDT, and PSA are all combined on one seniority list called the CEL or the Combined Eligibilty List. This list was created for the flow to MidAtlantic and staple to Mainline only and has no other use except for that.

Since most of the PSA people are more junior to the PDT and ALG pilots most of the class positions not accepted by the furloughed Mainline pilots (APL/Affected Pilot List) will go to the ALG and PDT pilots for awhile.

Once at MidAtlantic, seniority is then in this order - APL Pilots in order of their position on the APL, CEL Pilots in order of thier position on the CEL then New Hire (Off the Street Pilots). If Mainline recalls then the Pilots from MidAtlantic can then move to Mainline. In that case the pilots on the CEL will be stapled to the Mainline List if the CEL pilot or pilots accepts the position at Mainline.

In a perfect world if Airways can really become a strong airline, this process puts us closer to One List. Though as always, things can change in the blink of an eye. The one catch with all of this is that if a CEL pilot is called for a position at MidAtlantic and turns it down, that Pilot is taken off the CEL and will not be able to flow to MidAtlantic or Mainline.

With regards to those APL (J4J) Pilots already at PSA, they can go to MidAtlantic after they have served 1 year at PSA as long as there is an opening at MidAtlantic. But PSA can also keep the APL Pilot for, "I think", its either 90 days or 6 months after their year is up. I can't remember which one it is. I don't have the paper work in front of me. Sorry.

"and I know the junior ALG pilots will appreciate it too with the faster upgrades - right?"

I say again:

"The word on the street is the bids for the Aug classes will actually go more senior than 550 on the combined WO list as there may be a mad rush to MDA as Allegheny management has decided to downgrade and park planes rather than upgrade and hire. This is in ADDITION to the regularly sked planes that are being parked. So basically all the junior Capts that are getting the shaft back to FO are saying that if thier going to be an FO they may as well be at MDA."

The ALG bid for AUG shows a net REDUCTION (that means no upgrades) of Capts. Thus the majority of the July MDA positions were taken by Junior Capts and us downgraded guys. The senior Capts won't because of the pay cut and the fact that many are close to retirement so they would loose thier "social security bridge". Almost non of the ALG guys set to hit age 60 by 2008 will not take the MDA position. For the Semi-senior guys who have like 10 or so years left they will go or wait for a PIC position as they can retire from ALG and get most of the pension then finish in the left seat at MDA. If you ask why 2008 thats because thats when U says they will be out of the Dash bizz. (so they say) So now you can get an idea of who stays, who goes now and who goes later.

As for myself (downgraded guy) its becoming pretty clear. There will be no reupgrade at ALG and who knows what will go down when the PDT/ALG pilot groups are finaly put together. When/if the groups come together by DOH I would be able to hold a Capt position but like I said who knows and how far down the road is that going to be. Also it may be a good idea to take an MDA slot while we can because if ALG/PDT (or whatever combo) is sold off then there is (this may be debateable) no more oppertunity to go to MDA.

ALG will be at 18 aircraft by DEC 2004. Thats like 180 pilots, I could sneak in as a very junior FO in that case. Given that we (ALG) may be tied to our aircraft when we become PDT, in order for me to be a dash capt again I would have to be like 90 or so seniority of the ALG guys. As of now number 90 on our list has like 18-20 years here. So 18 years to hold JR capt in an ALG dash, my pissy little 5 and change will hold squat by then. Plus on top of this PDT is slated to start loosing aircraft in late 2005 until 2008. See where this is going. They want us gone.

I will never see my pension here. Although it wasn't a "mainline like $$$" the 1% time years of service (36 in my case) times FAE would be very nice when paired with my projected 401K in 2034 (my age 60) plus the social security bridge. O well, I've always said I'd rather have a good 401K and profit sharing instead of a pension because they can't take that away. Talk about eating my words.

Speaking of 401K's, MDA guys, hows the 401K there? I took a look at the matching and wasn't too impressed. How are the funds? Glad I have time (and market interest) on my side.

Here's something else, its quite obvious that they want to get thru the WO (CEL list) ASAP so they can hire from the street and start guys at 20 or so per hour instead of bringing WO guys on with DOH for pay. This is why we only get one shot at accepting an MDA position. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have the oppertunity considering the alternative.

BTW the dash happens to be a fine aircraft. Our fleet is less than 8 years old. I would have no problem flying it for the next 31 years of my career (if I'm that luckey).

O well, guess time will tell, hope this helps.

longevity for CEL pilots?

Sounds like someone dropped the ball -- badly -- and unknowingly created a "b-scale" at MidAtlantic. For the first time in the history of ALPO it appears the b-scale favors the JUNIOR pilots where, in the case of MidAtlantic, they were permitted to bring their longevity and are, therefore, being paid more than their more senior (furloughed) counterparts.

Hopefully there will be negotiations to rectify this situation promptly. Since it is obviously unfair to give the CEL guys pay-cuts to start them over at year-one, perhaps the company will do the right thing and give the furloughed guys their longevity. There will still, more than likely, be CEL pilots making more, but at least it will level the playing field.

Or maybe management likes to create division in the ranks.

USAirways1149 said:
Sounds like someone dropped the ball -- badly -- and unknowingly created a "b-scale" at MidAtlantic. For the first time in the history of ALPO it appears the b-scale favors the JUNIOR pilots where, in the case of MidAtlantic, they were permitted to bring their longevity and are, therefore, being paid more than their more senior (furloughed) counterparts.

Hopefully there will be negotiations to rectify this situation promptly. Since it is obviously unfair to give the CEL guys pay-cuts to start them over at year-one, perhaps the company will do the right thing and give the furloughed guys their longevity. There will still, more than likely, be CEL pilots making more, but at least it will level the playing field.

Or maybe management likes to create division in the ranks.
You know, its funny that I've been hearing this kind of statement for awhile now. It was pretty much O.K. for the APL pilots to come to PSA at the top of FO payscale making that "newhire" APL the highest paid FO in the company. It was also O.K. to make that "newhire" APL pilot a Capt. out of Seniority, but when something good actually happens in favor of an ALG, PDT, or PSA pilot, you people start looking for a way to change it.

Carefull there 1149, your starting to sound like those that you've cursed for years.

Can someone post the CEL list. I use to work for Piedmont and was just wondering were I would fall on the list. Does any know how long it would take for someone hired in 6/2000 at Piedmont to flow up to mid-atlantic? Also, what are the mid-atlantic pay scales? Thanks

I think your hire date was 6/05/00. Numbers range from 611-617.

CEL Total = 980 pilots (update 6-15-04)

Latest resources

Back