• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mgmnt wants paycut at colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sorry i cant edit it--- as i read the article , the colgan name just stuck with me and i used that name--

I worked at commutair about 6 months. It's a really bad place to work in terms of play, days off, etc. I used them for what I intended to do. I got some turbine 121 time and got outta there and don't feel bad about it. I literally started putting out my resume again after finishing ioe. Mark Denny called me and asked why I and I told him the truth about pay and work rules. He said he understood and that was that. How people become liters there I don't understand.

I worked at commutair about 6 months. It's a really bad place to work in terms of play, days off, etc. I used them for what I intended to do. I got some turbine 121 time and got outta there and don't feel bad about it. I literally started putting out my resume again after finishing ioe. Mark Denny called me and asked why I and I told him the truth about pay and work rules. He said he understood and that was that. How people become liters there I don't understand.

Mark Denny? The professor of Biology at Stanford University asked you why you wanted to move from Commutair in such a short time? Interesting.

Oh my gosh!!!

Talk about "three degrees to Kevin Bacon".

I posted the below about TSA, but it is soooo relevant to this!! Perhaps Comutair's strategy to lower wages is actually part of an effort to prevent PIEBS!!

But I say we should try it out at mainline first. Bring their wages down to a level which will prevent PIEBS. We'll give it ten years and then check the stats. Some good could come from this!!!

Well, there's the rub.

TSA uses the same hiring criteria that ASA does for Flight Attendants. The odds of a hotty rub down are low.

At ASA an occasional hotty may slip through the cracks, but even then, they aren't around long these days.

They get fired, quit, or become a nonhottie due to Pilot-Induced-Enlarged-Butt-Syndrome (PIEBS).[/B]

And those kind of pilots drive me nuts; the ones who date Flight Attendants and feed them, then chuck them back into the pool once their butt explodes. Date and screw all you want, but you are not doing anyone a favor by feeding them.

That's part of the double-edged sword of our First officers making more money than most in the industry. When the FO wages were lower, they couldn't afford to finance a butt enlargement.

Hot Flight attendants are actually an endangered species, deserving protection from the poisonous butt widening fare of CHILLIS and RED LOBSTER.

They have signs at beach bars: DO NOT FEED THE BIRDS

We need signs that say: DO NOT FEED THE HOT FLIGHT ATTENDANTS

Please help in the fight to stamp out PIEBS. October was SAVE THE TA TAS month. I propose we lobby congress to make November SAVE THE HOTTIES.

Bumper stickers, buttons, ties, hats, brown plastic wrist bands...there's no limit to the good we can do!!!!!

Last edited:
Isn't CommutAir already at the bottom! How can they even take a pay cut?! ...These guys are getting screwed. Just look at their 5 year FO pay progression:
$21, $22, $23, $24, $25

(for perspective, typical regional pay for flying Dash 8's looks something like this: $27, $31, $33, $34, $35...this happens to be pdt's). That's just not right that a 6 year FO at CommutAir will still make less than a Piedmont new-hire on the same equipment! Especially considering Piedmont's pay is crap too!

I know first year pay is crap, but doesn't it usually bump up quite a bit after second year (hence the identifiable distinction between first year pay and the rest of the scale)? I guess CommutAir guys are stuck with first year level wages every year :-/

What an insult to the pilot group. They're a great bunch of guys over there, great personalities and great pilots. Hope it all works out.

Last edited:
Isn't CommutAir already at the bottom! How can they even take a pay cut?! ...These guys are getting screwed. Just look at their 5 year FO pay progression:
$21, $22, $23, $24, $25

(for perspective, typical regional pay for flying Dash 8's looks something like this: $27, $31, $33, $34, $35...this happens to be pdt's). That's just not right that a 6 year FO at CommutAir will still make less than a Piedmont new-hire on the same equipment! Especially considering Piedmont's pay is crap too!

I know first year pay is crap, but doesn't it usually bump up quite a bit after second year (hence the identifiable distinction between first year pay and the rest of the scale)? I guess CommutAir guys are stuck with first year level wages every year :-/

What an insult to the pilot group. They're a great bunch of guys over there, great personalities and great pilots. Hope it all works out.

It's almost funny but every year you get that dollar raise. Then every year the company contributes less to your medical. It evens out every year.

It's almost funny but every year you get that dollar raise. Then every year the company contributes less to your medical. It evens out every year.

People will go to these companies for a quick upgrade and the ability to punch there ticket to a mainline carrier. We can all sit back and say its crap, but there are tons of people ready to take a job where they can upgrade in a year. Be a captain for maybe 2, then get to a major.

CommutAir, when they had there profit sharing had very respectable pay on the 1900's. Profit sharing checks sometimes were more then actual paychecks. Then the owners decided just like the rest of corporate america to take more and more of the profit.

What's really a neat little turd about all this is the mainline pilots have quite a bit of control over their hiring, less than they used to though.

But they refuse to only hire from unionized only carriers which have not participated in the race to the bottom. I know doing so is obviously impossible, because they would not be able to hire anyone from any regional.

:D

Or perhaps they could only hire prop drivers, that would negate the effect of the scope they gave away. We would all be willing to fly props for next to nothing in order to get the qualifications needed to get hired at mainline.

And further, the prop regionals would be able to do the flying soooo cheap since the pilots would work for nothing and never top out their payscales, since they would all get hired at mainline!!

Leave the RJ's to the regional lifers. And the RJ's would eventually be priced out of the market.

:beer:

Pure genius!! I'm sure the mainline guys have the nads to implement this on a national scale, as opposed to taking a payraise.....??
:erm:

Based on some of the pay rates listed here, how much doesn a 1st and 5th year first officer make at a place like Commutair and Piedmont?

Latest resources

Back