Mesaba upgrades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

msuspartans24

Just curious as to what upgrade times are with the new ac and movement...If I remeber airline pilot central said 99 hire on the saabs?

Junior MSP Saab Capt is now spring of 01 hire. Please keep in mind that the Year 2000 and onward ranks have really emptied out.

Distance (in number of pilots) to this Junior Saab Capt:

2003 hires: 16 pilots away.
2004 hires: 23 pilots away.
2005 hires: 78 pilots away.
2006 hires: There aren't any!
2007 hires: 115 pilots away.

MSP is usually the most senior base.
Are there still some 5, 6, 7 yr FO's who bypased capt? Yup.

Nonetheless, regardless of what the still embittered might say, the upgrade times at Mesaba, they are a-changin' for the better.

While a one yr. upgrade for new hires might be a bit overly optimistic, it is not completely out of the question. Those on property now can probably estimate an upgrade from half a year to two or so years.

Needless to say a lot depends on current Capts and senior FO's leaving to greener pastures. The ultra-senior guys aren't ever going anywhere until age 65.

Even without attrition, though, the upgrades will still come down to a year or two over the near future.

pinnacle DoH for captains is June 14th of 2007

My cat's breath smells like catfood.

Oh, wait: He asked what's Mesaba upgrade looking like. Sorry. I thought this thread was titled "Post Random S#it."

Junior MSP Saab Capt is now spring of 01 hire. Please keep in mind that the Year 2000 and onward ranks have really emptied out.

Distance (in number of pilots) to this Junior Saab Capt:

2003 hires: 16 pilots away.
2004 hires: 23 pilots away.
2005 hires: 78 pilots away.
2006 hires: There aren't any!
2007 hires: 115 pilots away.

MSP is usually the most senior base.
Are there still some 5, 6, 7 yr FO's who bypased capt? Yup.

Nonetheless, regardless of what the still embittered might say, the upgrade times at Mesaba, they are a-changin' for the better.

While a one yr. upgrade for new hires might be a bit overly optimistic, it is not completely out of the question. Those on property now can probably estimate an upgrade from half a year to two or so years.

Needless to say a lot depends on current Capts and senior FO's leaving to greener pastures. The ultra-senior guys aren't ever going anywhere until age 65.

Even without attrition, though, the upgrades will still come down to a year or two over the near future.

I'm kind of buzzed cuz I just got home from watching the Twins put up a 3 spot in the 9th to beat the Braves 3-2. Anyway..... With the flow-thru in place the demand of XJ pilot positions should increase and with the airline doubling in size over the next 2 years. Anyone on the current seniority list should be able to upgrade as soon as they meet the XJ Min's. Get your resume/apps in ASAFP cuz the supple/demand at XJ is going to shift very soon. SKOL

Last edited:
Newest XJ Captain, 6/14/07

Just finished my second CA IOE and line check today. As the newest 7 year Captain on line, I'm very thankful to be in the spot I am. Congratulations to all one-year Captains at a certain other airline that shall remain nameless. Cheers to all XJ guys and gals that have finally received their well-deserved chance to excel. See you all at the majors in a quick 696 hours.

MM

Last edited:
Not sure who I'm happier for: Mesabi Miner and all the other long-suffering XJ FOs for finally and deservedly making Captain, or SplitRock for watching the Twins come back from two runs down in the ninth to beat the hated Braves!

Congrats to all the XJ new and soon-to-be left seaters! You guys sure earned it the hard way!

The Twins have always owned the Braves. Their crappy base running, Kirby and Charlie Leibrandt lost them the World Series in 1991.
And Gene Larkin, don't forget him.

The Twins have always owned the Braves. Their crappy base running, Kirby and Charlie Leibrandt lost them the World Series in 1991.
And Gene Larkin, don't forget him.

Apparently someone had a sign at the game tonight that said "We want Liebrandt". Was that you, SplitBar?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back