• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba, Specific Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I take it that this also applies to pilots on reserve? Also, with regard to reserve days off and commuting, is there a way to group your days off in 2's, 3's, or 4's so you can commute?

There is no way to sugar coat it. Being on straight reserve and commuting is no picnic especially at a regional airline. With only 11 days off, you are bound to have some 5 day straight reserve weeks. Which means commuting to a city to sit in a sucky crashpad with people that annoy you and playing video games while the wife is home with 3 sick kids. 11 days off a month can easily turn into 6 or 7 depending on how bad the commute is.
But the good news is that you won't be on reserve forever. If you get into Mesaba now I would expect a 3-4 month sit.
Good luck.

What is the realistic upgrade time for those hired at Mesaba right now? Is it better than Compass?
Current upgrade time for the Saab is approx. 1 year. Although it will likely start to reduce in the next year because quite a few kids are still years away from the minimum age of 23 to be Capt. There are also quite a few "Jet Princess" FO's who think they can wait it out for the 900 so they are skipping the Saab upgrades on purpose. I can definately forsee the hiring of street captains again on the Saab if it keeps going as junior as it has. Time will tell. But it is still a good time to come to Mesaba. Compass would be a risky move if NWA furloughs with the 10% reduction in domestic flying next year. But again in this industry, every move seems to be a gamble.

Thanks for a prompt reply... can you also tell me the average line credit values? How often do you break guarantee? How long on reserve in a Saab vs. jet?

Thanks for a prompt reply... can you also tell me the average line credit values? How often do you break guarantee? How long on reserve in a Saab vs. jet?

Not sure about the jet. But reserve on the Saab is around 3 months for staight reserve and 3 months of Build up reserve (partial line and reserve). Average line credit is 85 hours on all aircraft. Some months are higher and others are lower.

All kidding aside. Being at Mesaba with Delta now running the show seems to be good for us right now. Then again it could all go back to what we are all used to over the last 6 years. But the writing on the wall says a lot more airplanes. Delta has a lot more 900's to give, our management seems to think their bid is pretty competetive. That number is 35. Delta has just spent millions on our training department. All 900 stuff.

Lets just hope that if they do order more they get them configured like the original 36, not the Freedom ones. AHRS SUCKS! Though the independent radar will be nicer.

Hi!

5 days of crashpad reserve doesn't sound so bad, after spending 6.5 years of 10/12/15/20/31 and my record 32 days of crashpad reserve in a row.

cliff
GRB
PS-Waiting to hear if I get an interview. Hope to get the Saab, IF I'm interviewed and IF I'm hired.

Latest resources

Back