• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba SF-340 ATL now MEM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With the announcement of some EAS markets getting axed, I wonder how many of those north MI routes are going to survive. Those ESC-IMT/SAW/CIU/APN/PLN... etc routes are all but empty most of the time it seems.

NWA filed the day they got the ESC/IMT route to drop it because it wasn't worth enough to be profitable. As for everything else, welcome to Michigan. The economy here has been in the toilet for about 10 years and counting now. With an incompetent state government clueless how they created the mess and clueless how to fix it. We won't even bother with Detroit itself.

This is all hypothetical, but what would happen to the street captains if the Saabs did go away? I came pretty close to heading that direction myself and it got me wondering.

We're not cutting EAS markets because of the reduction in saab fleet. Mesaba is bound by contract for these routes. However, Mesaba has pulled their current applications for NEW EAS routes citing a/c constraints with the smaller fleet size.

Perhaps it also explains why they are getting the 900s painted so much quicker. Hope it doesn't mean what I am afraid of for the 200s too....
Yeah with you joining us as the only other wholly owned with 50 seaters, I wouldn't look for those remaining around for long. RA has stated that he'll continue to decrease the 50 seater fleet at DCI, and ours are the easiest to shed.

We're not cutting EAS markets because of the reduction in saab fleet. Mesaba is bound by contract for these routes. However, Mesaba has pulled their current applications for NEW EAS routes citing a/c constraints with the smaller fleet size.

The thing I am most worried about is the only EAS routes out of DTW are the ESC/IMT bridge to MSP and the APN route... Both easily covered by bridging from MSP. If this is the end of the Saab base in DTW there are a lot of us even more F'd than most because, well good luck trying to sell a house in Michigan right now.... And for the pay it's not worth commuting.

It seems that DL is balancing the hubs and shuffling the a/c as needed. This was totally expected as a result of the merger. I doubt seriously they'll get rid of ALL the saabs in DTW. I wouldn't be surprised however, to see the 39 a/c spread out a little bit differently than we see today.

It wouldn't be the first time at XJ there was a huge shift of jobs and a/c to other bases. People will move or commute just like they did in the past. Where you gonna go if you quit? Personally, the job is still worth commuting for as a 900 CA, especially if it means still having a job and being able to pay my mortgage.

It seems that DL is balancing the hubs and shuffling the a/c as needed. This was totally expected as a result of the merger. I doubt seriously they'll get rid of ALL the saabs in DTW. I wouldn't be surprised however, to see the 39 a/c spread out a little bit differently than we see today.

It wouldn't be the first time at XJ there was a huge shift of jobs and a/c to other bases. People will move or commute just like they did in the past. Where you gonna go if you quit? Personally, the job is still worth commuting for as a 900 CA, especially if it means still having a job and being able to pay my mortgage.

Perhaps if I could still hold 900 CA... the problem for me (and a number of others) is that IF we are displaced from 900 CA that would mean there are no Saab CA seats for us to displace to. We'd go all the way back to an FO seat. That pay I could not afford to go back to and commute.... And good luck selling a house in the metro Detroit area to move in any circumstance. (not going to happen without walking away from the loan and therefor not being able to get a loan where you move to)

If you are displaced, you go to whatever seat your seniority could hold, including saab CA if there are people JR to you. If you can hold 900 CA, you're highly likely to hold saab CA, even with a reduced fleet.

I wish everyone would stop being so dramatic about this. Nobody but planning know the real numbers. It's crazy for people to be crunching numbers with only part of the story. Why should we all get our undies bunched up for stuff we can't control? We don't even know what the fallout will look like. If I learned anything during our drama filled past, it's not to panic, make rash decisions or believe the sky is falling until you really have to.

Latest resources

Back