Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Union Buster or Pilot?

Mesaba2425,

Your views don't seem like any I've heard on the line. You could be that part of the 2% that won't want a strike. In any case, it doesn't take a unanimous decision for a strike, so I think you're wrong.

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt as to whether you're a line pilot or not - if you can answer a few simple questions an XJ SAAB FO would know.

Which plane is easier to taxi: A model or B model?

When preflighting the, FO will often find two breakers popped or collared. Which ones and why?

I think all SAAB FOs would know these questions. And if you're not an XJ pilot, don't forget to bill Mesaba for the time you spend hunting down the answers.

Flyn96 made a comment about Mesaba going all jet, if..."those a$$ wipers at Big Sky don't do it for us."

Remind me, who bought who here?? Big Sky pilots didn't go to Mesaba pleading to be bought so that they can turn around and screw Mesabab pilots. If you want to blame somebody, blame management at Mesaba. It's their tactics.

Supposedly the Saabs are no longer being considered because of the performance hit they would take at our higher altitudes. I've never flown the Saab so I have no idea if it's true or not.

Silent Dave,

Yeah the A's don't particularly perform all that well above 10. How high do get those Metros above the peaks in Montana and around?

P.S. Don't take anything to heart from Mesaba 2425. He is some screwball playing games.

On another note, how did you guys feel about the ad ALPA put out in the Billings Gazette? Just curious? Personally, I felt it was a bit confrentational.

Most of the airports (term used very loosely) we operate at are in the 3500' - 6000' range and we are usually filed between 19,000' and 24,000'. The Metros aren't exactly powerhorses either, but with the alcohol/water injection we at least get them off the ground. Kind of a hokey system.

Thanks for the positive words, but in this business you quickly grow a thick skin. Particularly since the Mesaba deal. We were astounded that anybody would want to aquire us. We're a nobody in the middle of nowhere quietly minding our own business for the last 20 something years. I personally didn't vote for the contract for several reasons that don't really mater now. I am sorry for the way yall have been treated, and if the situation was reversed I would certainly be pi55ed as well.

The whole ALPA thing was really surreal. They don't say anything until after the vote was already done, and then they throw a fit and expect some sort of revote. The next thing we know there's a whole group of them in Billings. That actually worked out quite well because they came to the local brew pub and bought all of our food and beer. It's a good thing I had the next day off. :D You know what's really funny. About 4-5 years ago we tried to join ALPA and they said we didn't meet their requirements. How's that for ironic. The ad in the paper was pretty silly. We thought it was hysterical that they would waste money like that.

Well, good luck to yall. Things might work out great for you guys. You never know, Mesaba could easily pull the plug on us and let us go out of business like we were in the first place.

SilentDave:

Thanks for speaking up and giving us all an insight to the BigSky side of this whole ordeal.

hopefully we can all hang on these rough times and come out bigger and better paid in the end.

Ya ALPA really F#*ked up when they didn't let BigSky join 4 years ago. It makes me wonder how many other small airlines have been turn away in the past.

SF340 questions

The ability to answer those questions about the saab doesn't really mean squat. Most Mechanics could answer those questions.

On to bigger things; And while I am not a union insider, I am pretty sure that ALPA was miffed because Big Sky's UTU leaders were lying to us about when the vote was to take place. ALPA went out there expecting to talk to BSA pilots before the vote took place, based on what BSA was telling them, only to find out that the vote had already happened. I would be vexed as well.

I guess some would say ALPA got what it deserved, based on turning down BSA pilots years before. I don't agree with that, but I do agree that ALPA is missing an opportunity to truly create "ONE VOICE".

And back to some of the original thread items, I think that most pilots here are willing to stirke. However, in my experience the closer you get to the top of the seniority list, the support evaporates and most of those guys seem to think that if we do strike management will fold it up. Considering that those folks are closest to the management types in terms of seniority and personal relationships, this may be something to expect.

CWASaab

yeah ALPA is known for buying the beer and food just to hold a meeting. Sometimes it makes the turn out much stronger. LOL

Nobady at mesaba should be mad at any Big Sky pilot. All the negative Karma should be focused towards PF and Holdings. For all of us that have been here since 97, this situation should seem all to familiar, except we are on the short side now. Now, Big Sky is getting the opportunity of growing at our expense the same way we did from Expresses loss. It wasn't our fault with the express flying, and it surely isn't Big Sky's fault now. So give those kids a break. I wish them the best. I also hope that Mesaba gets rewarded for all their hard work over the past 6 years.

OAK

Last edited:
SAAB Questions

CWA,

I know he can find them out, but I get some joy from some "consultant" having to scratch his head and make some calls.

So, questions mean squat to you; giving "the man" something to worry about equals big fun for me. Try it, you'll like it.

C'ya!

Latest resources

Back