Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Twasilew

Hello,

I was just about to apply to Mesaba and then received orders to leave for KC-135 school in about a month and a half. Should I still apply with the intention of telling them that I can't start until 6 months from now? Or should I just wait until I'm almost finished.

Thanks for the replies. I'm curious what others would do in this situation.

Why wouldn't you?

6 months free seniority. My friend did the same thing for another airline. He has over three years seniority and only worked there for three months.

It is none of Mesaba's business if you are going on MIL leave (or any other leave for that matter).

It is nice that you have that respect for a business, but trust me it won't be returned.

You would be dumb not to.

Get your seniority NOW, then go on orders...no regional will ever look after your interests, and will happily screw you for a dime given the opportunity, so take advantage of the situation with a clear conscience.

I was originally scheduled to go on orders next year sometime. So my plan was to fly for a regional for about a year and then take military leave. Now that my class has moved up, I won't even have time to start a newhire regional class.

I'm leaning towards not even applying until I get back. I leave in 6 weeks. It sure would have been nice to get on a seniority list prior though.

Go do the interview, get hired and leave for -135 class like everyone has said... If I'm not mistaken, it's slightly illegal for them to even think about firing you when you are on MIL leave... So don't worry about that.. Get the 6 months of free seniority and come back to the line your seniority will hold! Nice and easy!

take the seniorty number, I am upgrading and am looking forward to being on reserve.....not! What I am planning is to take a military leave and come back to a line........but the military leave is not going to be any fun I can tell you.....I would rather be on reserve for sure.....but i can definately see the bennies for being gone.

Get your seniority NOW, then go on orders...no regional will ever look after your interests, and will happily screw you for a dime given the opportunity, so take advantage of the situation with a clear conscience.

It is sad that that is one of the truest statements on F.I.

You won't get your seniority # until you start training, so making it past the interview and then going on mil. leave before you start won't do you any good. If you got through training and then went on leave, now you're talking. (but I see that isn't an option)

You won't get your seniority # until you start training, so making it past the interview and then going on mil. leave before you start won't do you any good. If you got through training and then went on leave, now you're talking. (but I see that isn't an option)

This is true. You do not get a number until your first day of class. Sooooo, if you have the cahones to make it to the first day of class and then drop the bomb of military leave then you can accrue senority while away. LOL.....To quote Nike, I think you should "Just do it".

Latest resources

Back