• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba pilots strike prediction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

If the Mesaba pilots go on strike Jan. 10, how long do you think it would last?

• There will be a settlement minutes before the midnight deadline

Votes: 42 25.1%
  • up to 1 week

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • up to 2 weeks

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • Up to 1 month

Votes: 43 25.7%
  • up to 3 months

Votes: 22 13.2%
  • up to 6 months

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • up to 1 year

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • More than 1 year

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
There has been alot of talk recently at Chautauqua about the addition of another code share partner. Could it be talking to NWA?

Just another possibility.

However, the pilots at CHQ would not fly work on strike!!!!!!

There has been alot of talk recently at Chautauqua about the addition of another code share partner. Could it be talking to NWA?

NW cannot just "replace" Mesaba. All new NW code-share agreements have to be approved by NWALPA. NWALPA has vowed to support Mesaba (and Pinnacle for that matter) in not allowing management to dilute their bargaining power by bringing in more Airlink partners.

Canceling Mesaba's air service agreement and the subsequent dissolving of the airline is not in the best interests of NW as there would only be one Airlink partner remaining. Nobody left to whipsaw.

As usual, NWALPA is the power broker. I hope they hold true to their promises and our expectations.

Keep in mind that NWA still owns something like 40% of Mesaba Holdings. NWA is not going to let XJ go TU.

At the rally last night, one of the speakers said this: "You are going to hear a lot of rumors this week, don't believe any of them"

yup

Way too many rumors floating around. Even here at this site. there are NO sure things...we just have to wait and see how it all falls. :(

Both NWA and Pinnacle say they won't fly struck work, but if NWA pulls the air service agreement from Mesaba, is it then struck work? I don't know the answer, but my guess is that it won't be considered struck work...

All work remains struck until the company is liquidated.

The trouble with the struck work thing is as soon as NWA gets rid of the Mesaba contract they will go to court and get an injunction to force the trips to be flown.They will say NWAALPA is in an illegal strike.And ALPA will not risk a big fine like the one that just about put the Americans pilot union in to the poor house.Got be be a better way ,work to rule, sick outs ,one day strikes.Good luck.

furloughed dude,

Mesaba pilots are not going to price themselves out of a job. Comair, and Air Wisconsin fly 50 seat jets for a helluva lot more cash than we fly the Avro. They seem to be adding new routes, more planes, etc....

If an airline wants to fly a specific plane on a specific route, then said airline should be required to pay its pilots an appropriate wage for it. The Avro is nearly the same size of a Fokker and a small DC-9. They go to the exact same gates in every town. The difference is that the pilots make a quarter of what the Fokker and DC-9 pilots make. If Mesaba can not pay a decent wage for the aircraft, then they should get rid of it.

I do however, completely agree with your last paragraph. Just wait until someday a guy gets enough cash put together to start flying 777's and goes straight to the flight schools to get his pilots and pay them 30k to sit in the right seat. Suddenly, all the majors' pilot contracts look pretty foolish and those mainline pilots might have just priced themselves out of a job.

sf3boy said:
Just wait until someday a guy gets enough cash put together to start flying 777's and goes straight to the flight schools to get his pilots and pay them 30k to sit in the right seat. Suddenly, all the majors' pilot contracts look pretty foolish and those mainline pilots might have just priced themselves out of a job.

I think statements like this pepetuate the "sky is falling" mentality. I don't think this will happen anytime soon, certainly in the near term, but could be 10-15 years off if pursued by some Lorenzorenstein type. Most flight school pilots are up to their eyeballs in student loans (like me), and wouldn't have an extra 20-30K to pony up for a job with a "major airline". I can't speak for those who have the "end justifies the means" mentality.

I hope and pray my contemporaries would see right through a ploy like that (pay us 20K and we'll pay you 40K a year as an A-319 FO) and would hold the line. Unfortunately, I know better, and there would be a few among us that would screw everybody over for the "prestige" of a major airline pilot.

This low-time flight-school college student will *not* PFT. Not for the 19 seat Junkstream here at Corpex, not for a EMB145, and certainly not for a Scarebus. I fly because it beats the heck out of an office job, but I expect to be fairly compensated for my duties and responsibilities. Hey, that sounds sorta like what the Mesaba guys and gals want!

My prediction: a deal signed in the 11th hour or within the first 24 hours of a strike. After no airline will fly the struck work, Mesaba (having read a case-study about the Comair strike) will give most, but not all, what ALPA demands to save face and the bottom line. Pay will be within 5%(plus or minus) of the Comair equivalent, with FOs getting a 9-15% increase in first year pay. NWA will cancel the contract for the Avros, Mesaba will go all-Saab, and mgmt will once again try to whipsaw the Airlink partners over the remaining CRJ orders. Hopefully, Mesaba gets enough CRJs to prevent massive furloughs.

Go get em' Mesaba ALPA. You deserve so much more than what you got!

and mgmt will once again try to whipsaw the Airlink partners over the remaining CRJ orders.

What remaining CRJ's? I thought NWA already doled those puppies out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back