• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingSig

Double Breasted _ _ _
From the DALPA website:

The pilots of Mesaba Airlines, a feeder for Northwest Airlines, are facing a strike deadline of Saturday, Jan. 10, at 12:01 a.m. E.S.T. In the event of a strike, ALPA has secured an agreement with Delta Flight Operations to allow Mesaba pilots to have access to the Delta jumpseat for at least 30 days.

Thanks for the support! and BUMP!

I'm going on a BUMP CRAZE during these last hours before the deadline!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they do. But, my understanding is that once on strike your employment status changes and those reciprocal agreements are not valid. So, for those who like to call us names and say ALPA (DALPA) are out for ourselves, you are wrong. Our MEC had to approach management to allow this.

Actually that is not true.

In a letter dated July 11, 1985 John H Cassady, Assistant Chief Counsel Regulations and Enforcement Division, FAA responded with an intrepretation of FAR part 121.547.

I quote, "Your question is whether Part 121.547 prevents pilots who were on strike at United Airlines from being admitted to the cockpits of aircraft of another Part 121 certificate holder. In our opinion, it does not."

This letter sets a precident and as such since then striking pilots have been allowed.

Try and explain that to the gate agent who only goes by what their supervisor tells them. And, management from one company can recind jumpseat priveleges whenever they want. Just ask a Comair pilot!

OH Trust me I understand how it all works. I'm just pointing out that it is not a legal issue and they are still considered employees. UNLESS the company goes Tango Uniform or say the company purged the pilots (which I don't think is even legal).

From MESA MEC

From the MESA MEC

"As most of you are aware, the Mesaba pilots "cooling off" period ends tonight, January 9, 2004 at 11:01 p.m. CSD (12:01 am EST January 10, 2004). If a Mesaba pilot walk out becomes necessary at the conclusion of the "cooling-off" period, there will be many stranded Mesaba pilots both in hub and spoke cities. These pilots will want to travel home initially. Additionally, Mesaba pilots will be seeking travel to the strike centers located in MSP, DTW and MEM in the days to follow.

Please make arrangements for your jumpseaters accordingly. Your MEC has made a letter from the FAA available online at the ALPA.org website, MEC home page which affirms the ability of striking pilots to exercise the privilege of jumpseat travel if they remain employees of their airline. Essentially, striking pilots remain employees of their airline during a strike.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact your respective Status Representatives or Jumpseat Committee. Please make the jumpseat available for your fellow ALPA pilots at Mesaba."

Good luck, always welcome on my airplane.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back