Mesaba Furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi,

I'm one of the guys who got the "we want you but we'll get back to you in 3 -4 weeks" call on Friday. This will be my first regional job and am pretty new to all the regional jet politics. I would love to work for Mesaba, but don't want to get hired on and then find myself out of a job within a year. My question is would this be a good move right now? I've read all the threads on Mesaba and I get basiically two answers: "We'll be fine." or "We're all screwed." Can any Mesaba pilots give me a little insight? Thanks.

convair007 said:
Hi,

I'm one of the guys who got the "we want you but we'll get back to you in 3 -4 weeks" call on Friday. This will be my first regional job and am pretty new to all the regional jet politics. I would love to work for Mesaba, but don't want to get hired on and then find myself out of a job within a year. My question is would this be a good move right now? I've read all the threads on Mesaba and I get basiically two answers: "We'll be fine." or "We're all screwed." Can any Mesaba pilots give me a little insight? Thanks.

Well the only answer to that comment in bold is find another industry.... quite possibly in another country at this point. I came here six months ago being told this would be the best time in years to be hired in here..... now I could be on the street Nov 1... welcome to the sorry world of aviation these days. The way I see it the only secure job now is job outsourcer or in the military. Anything else is subject to the first person's job. I just wish everyone with the Wallmart mentality would realize that soon noone will have a job in this country to buy the crap we have outsourced everywhere else. We need another keep it in America campaign like the 80's auto industry or we are ALL in a world of hurt soon.

A member of the first generation of Americans to not improve on the lifestyle of their parents :(

Whyzitsokold said:
so you have pilots for 35 avros and x# sabs + x# crj pilots and you shed 9 avros in a month, how can you not furlough?

Anyone know how many crj guys got hired and are in training? I'm guessing 20? maybe? 9 ARJ = about 90 pilots minus the 20 new guys, then you wouldn't be safe for the first round unless you have 70 people below you. Then comes the next wave.

But of course, this is all speculation. I think we are all screwed. If you are above seniority number 110, then you should leave for another job you really should quicker the better, it's only going to get worse. For those of you below seniority number 110, do as you wish.

Okay now I see it...yeah that last part is pretty funny. How could I have NOT seen the humor in that one???

Cant wait to fly with you...

filejw said:
One thing to consider .Nwa wants to come out of CH 11 looking like Jet Blue. Having lots of different type A/C is not part of the plan in the long run.

Have you seen the buisiness plan proposal? I think ALPA and the rest of the unions haven't. They get briefed this week. BOHICA.

I think the only thing they want in common with JB is the pay and benefits.

Last edited:
sf3boy said:
Let's all get something straight here. NWA is not in charge anymore. Managements may tell us dumb pilots at the three red tail companies otherwise, but the creditors and courts are going to be calling the plays from now on.

Lost on a lot of people is this is a self funded BK. There is no DIP financing. NWA is financing thier own BK. They have MUCH more control over the process than DAL has, or UAL or U has had. Theire is no AL Pension Corp. calling the shots. Sure they still have to work with the judge and creditiors, but they call a lot more of the shots.

NWA caught all the analysts and armchair pbservers off guard filing when thye did. Me thinks they know a little more than you give them credit for.

It will still be brutal for all of us on the receiving end though....

sf3boy said:
Let's all get something straight here. NWA is not in charge anymore. Managements may tell us dumb pilots at the three red tail companies otherwise, but the creditors and courts are going to be calling the plays from now on. NWA management admitted and agreed to the fact that they had no business running anything when they filed CH.11.

Lost on lots of people is the fact that this is a self funded BK. No Debtor in Possesion (DIP) financing. No oustside financier calling the shots. NWA maintains a LOT more control in the process. This was by design, and even caught WS off guard. I think they know a bit more than you give them credit for.

As to filing when they did, think holding for your destination wx to come up to mins with T-storms all around. Do you wait until you get in a low fuel emergency or do you divert while you can still make the alternate safely?

Last edited:
airmasn said:
Okay now I see it...yeah that last part is pretty funny. How could I have NOT seen the humor in that one???

It's all good . . . . .

I have a friend here that is sending out resumes today! Is he crazy? Maybe he's premature.

If he was to get an interview, what do you tell the recruiter? "Yeah, I'll take your job offer! That'd be great, but I can't tell you yes or no till I get furloughd."

(over a year seniority) - Since I'm less than 300 from the bottom, I'm a little nervous. I'm going to get a management job at NW, then I'll be set no matter what with my new pension $$ I hope that doesn't get approved ;(

fly4hire

If this is a self financed BK, then NW has been planning on doing this for a couple of years. Maybe the management is smarter than I give them credit for. They got the NW pilots to give concessions all the while knowing that they were going to file. Now the real concessions will begin.

Latest resources

Back