• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Furlough Announcement...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just because it could be worse does not make it OK. That kind of BS argument is how airline managements have been lowering our expectations, pay and QOL over the last decade. That constant low level grind is a well organized attempt to make us think less of our value and be more pliant for management.

Plenty of airlines do not allow any RR at all. There is no reason we should not all be like that.

Anybody that does RR frequently at Mesaba care to comment on what the percentage is that they are used to go fly when on RR?

How often are they truly given a short notice call ("we need you now") versus like lets say one hour or 1.5 hour notice to departure time?

Has anybody called in fatigued after sitting at the airport for 6 or 7 hours and then been given flying assignments that put you at a 13 or 14 hour duty day.

I do RR frequently and obviously have nothing good to say about it. Im pretty sure the only reason they utilize it is to make our lives difficult, but then again maybe I'm biased about the subject. I don't think it really helps them increase there operational #'s as much as they would say.

For me most of the time that I'm called is to work a flight that leaves in an hour or two hours. I think there has only been one time that I was given an assignment that had people on the airplane waiting for me. I wish the union and the company could meet in the middle and settle on a short call program that would allow people that live near the airport (crashpad or permanent residence) to stay at home and accept maybe a 45min callout to get to the airport verses the 1.5 instead of doing RR. Obviously still keeping the 1.5 callout but just have one guy on short call.

And when they give you a 2hour notice for a flight it makes you wonder how early they really knew about it but waited to get inside the 2.5hrs so they could utilize the RR guy that is already getting 4hrs of credit for being at the airport. Mines will get there moneys worth.

I had scheduling call me in to work the other day asking me if I could accept less than 1.5hrs to get to the airport and how much would they need to delay the flight that should have automatically been delayed 25min so I got my full 2.5hours before departure time. My answer was "well back in the day I would have probably helped the company out but since they have chosen the road of RR I will not do both for them. Thats how it used to be, you would try to get there a few minutes early if need be to help them out hoping they wouldn't start to utilize RR which was always in our FOM. But those days are gone.

My last comment about RR and I will get off the soap box is its great when you sit at the airport starting at 430am, so you gotten up at probably 330am. You sit at the airport for say 5 or 6 hours, they call you to go fly. So now you are thinking that instead of going home after 8hours you are looking at a 10 hour day and then they add another out and back on top of the original (so 4 legs). Now it has turned into a 13 to 14 duty day. I know this doesn't happen often but it does. I would recommend to start calling in fatigued. To me its ridiculous and abuse of the RR program even though technically legal according to the contract as long as assigned within 8 hours of starting your duty and also not scheduled over a 14hr day. When asked why they don't utilize the PM RR for the second flight they give you the "well we need to keep them available for something else that might come up and we can still utilize you.

I know, fun times at XJ "thats reality fokes"

I've been called more with less than the 1.5 hours at home than I have been called on ready reserve with less than 1.5 hours notice.....
One time I have been called on ready with a 4 minute notice to departure. That flight left about 1:15 late thanks to the same thunderstorms keeping the original captain from getting into DTW. That's the only time in over a year that I have been called on rr that I wouldn't have been able to get there for an on time door close. I would routinely get there with 2 hours to push notice while sitting highspeed reserve. And I woudn't be needing to rush to do it. No reason to short everyone thier hotel time if I didn't have to. Other than the 8 hours is too long the thing that bothers me is the early show time.... Why should I come in 3+ hours before the first flight just in case they want to deadhead me to another base. By the time I am deadheaded there they could have called another reserve in at that base and beat me there. If there isn't any reserves that early in the morning, out of base reserves need to be used. Or better yet with the ongoing fiasco that is MEM, TDY lines need to be offered.

6-8 RR days a month...used >50% of the time. I have yet to be notified with enough time that would allow a normal reserve to get there with the 1.5+1 hour to departure. A short call for living/crashing near the airport would be ideal.

Do I like it? No! Can I really complain? Nope, it is in the contract and I knew it was there when I bid for upgrade with full knowledge of being junior. However, that doesn't keep me from complaining...

Latest resources

Back