Mesa Upgrade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rip Vanwinkle

I'm not even going to waste my time entreating you to save the BS. Go ahead and flame away. I'm rubber, you're glue, Mr. Regional Airline Pilot whose "real" job still sucks. You too, Mr. Major Airline Pilot who sold the profession down the river when times got tough.

That said, the upgrade at Mesa is reported to be about 3 months on the 1900. How is this possible? Are that many of their FOs too low time to upgrade? I hear street Captain is over. How long to upgrade on the Dash?

Thanks for any real responses. To the rest of you. Yes, I know. "Your (sic) a bottomfeeding wh0re and I hope you get cancer!" Back at you.

Heh. Wrong forum. Maybe I'll at least get flamed.

Last edited:
Quickest upgrade at Mesa is the D8 I think. They have been hiring street Captains all summer, though I don't know if this is continuing or not through September. The B1900 is 3 - 6 months right now, and they have a B1900 class starting soon from what I have been told.

Now the important questions I wish I would have asked myself a few years ago - "Why are the upgrades going so quick if its not do to growth (and its not)? Why don't the FO's who have the time (and we have em) want to upgrade?"

Think about that and then go work somewhere else...

And why in the cargo forum?

Last edited:
I feel guilty continuing this thread since its in the wrong forum, and I also feel guilty for what im about to ask. Why are the FOs who have the time not wanting to upgrade?

Im still a year off from applying anywhere (2 more semisters) but wow, a 3-6 month upgrade! I hate PFJers and people who bring the industry down (GOJet) as much as the next guy...but damn thats almost tempting and mesa is almost an average (by average i mean sub-par of course) regional.

If i just wanted to use mesa to prepare for a lateral move (with PIC time) someone talk me out of it.

I've got a friend who works there and it sounds like they just have a lot of turnover among pilots for various reasons. Sounds like it may be a good opportunity for someone to get some quick PIC turbine and then start looking elsewhere.

Our attrition rate is about 20% per year...that in of itsself should tell ya something...

The recent Dash 8 flying was new and there was only about 10% of the pilot group (Dash 8 FO's) that were eligable to bid it under our "wonderful contract" and they wouldn't lift the restrictions for anybody else (Jet FO's or Beech CA or FO's) to bid it. They woudl rather use 1500TT Street CA's then spend another training event on a pilot they already have trained.

FO's that are eligable...my guess is they are trying to go somewhere else (CHQ/REP or Skywest are the most popular) or they almost have the seniority for Jet CA and they don't want to seat lock themselves for 18 months to the turboprop.

Mesa is nowhere close to average, don't ever even think about thinking that. Various reasons for attrition, nope...just one, QOL.

How hard is it to get the AHN base on the 1900 for Air Midwest. THats awful close to home. Are they hiring any street CPTs on the 1900. Where all does the AHN base fly to? Thanks

Rip Vanwinkle said:
I'm not even going to waste my time entreating you to save the BS. Go ahead and flame away. I'm rubber, you're glue, Mr. Regional Airline Pilot whose "real" job still sucks. You too, Mr. Major Airline Pilot who sold the profession down the river when times got tough.

That said, the upgrade at Mesa is reported to be about 3 months on the 1900. How is this possible? Are that many of their FOs too low time to upgrade? I hear street Captain is over. How long to upgrade on the Dash?

Thanks for any real responses. To the rest of you. Yes, I know. "Your (sic) a bottomfeeding wh0re and I hope you get cancer!" Back at you.

Heh. Wrong forum. Maybe I'll at least get flamed.

Sorry, but I have to say... you seem a little insecure from the get go on this one. Now, my opinion... You will be selling the career down the river if you take a job at Mesa.

The best upgrade at Mesa is LEAVING MESA.

Have you ever known someone who died from cancer? I wouldn't wish that on even a Mesa pilot.

Cheers,
Fr8r

As a former Mesa Pilot...seek work elsewhere !!!!!!!!!!! I empathize with all the guys trying to get out of there...Before you quit aviation.try a fractional.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back