• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa Upgrade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

How hard is it to get the AHN base on the 1900 for Air Midwest. THats awful close to home. Are they hiring any street CPTs on the 1900. Where all does the AHN base fly to? Thanks

Ill take a stab at this one. I used to ride on them going down to AHN to visit the old lady on my days off. I heard (and I could be very wrong, info out of date, etc) that all they do for the most part, is fly out in the morning to CLT, sit in a day room with each other, then fly the terminating flight back to AHN (and maybe a MX ferry here and there). So two legs all day with a long day room sit.

Sounds like a sour deal to me.

A 4 year CA on the 1900 would still be sitting reserve on the jet for that 1.5 years. 8 days off a mounth on reserve, NO THANKS....
I would take RSV Jet CA Mesa / B1900 CA Air Midwest - over being a AIR Wisky FO (especially in PHL). That 4 year CA would probably have over a 1000 PIC and be getting ready to leave Mesa. The 1900 CA would have over 2000 PIC and would be in the position to move 1.5 years ago.

With all the displacements that Air Midwest does I don't think you would need to worry about a seat lock on the 1900

18 month seat lock when upgrading in Turboprop equipment. Jet CA is going about 2 years right now, so the timing would be pretty good if you were hired as a street CA. You can go from B1900 CA to RJ CA without ever going right seat in the RJ (contractually required that way actually). Consider your options and your family very carefully before coming to work at a company like Mesa.

I believe we are still hiring street CA's for the Dash and the B1900 is going less then six months. You have no control over which airplane you get when hired other then putting in a "request". The higher time guys are going to the turboprops.

Other useful facts:
1900 Pilots on our seniority list, 20% annual attrition rate, section 6 contract neg start in March, and its going to be an ugly, UGLY fight. 7 new CRJ 700's are being added in the next couple of month to replace the ERJ's moving from United to Delta Service. A couple of our CRJ-200 leases are up, but not many, and they are being returned. Aircraft wise we are not growing or diminishing right now, and won't do either in the forseeable future unless a major change happens. Reserve - 8 days off 70 hour guarantee. Lineholders 10 days off (this really sucks). The rumor is that we do not have enough applicants to fill the pilot slots that we need (250 pilots short right now). Staffing levels on the CRJ are hovering around 3.2 crews per airplane, while the ERJ is at 4.8 (per Delta contract requirement). We are loosing FA's in droves (10 quit in 1 base in 1 week), and that is our biggest problem in some bases.

I'm sitting at 2 yrs/10 mo with the company, 2 Type ratings, check airman, and 1700 PIC, and just a few numbers from lineholding on the jet.

Greasy side down

Last edited:
How long is their reserve...for a new hire?

How long is their reserve...for a new hire?

Depends greatly on the airplane and seat, could be anywhere from 1 month (dash/beech) to 1 year (CRJ) for FO's

Street CA's can expect to be on reserve "awhile" or "indefinitly"

Sounds like street captains are in high demand for the Dash 8's out of JFK, and they put their high time FO's in turboprops because they can upgrade faster.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back