Mesa update?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

corky

Could someone from Mesa give an update on the current furlough recall/furture hiring plans?

Also, how is life as a commuter at Mesa? I'd be commuting from Long Beach.

Thanks,
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mesa still has pilots on furlough.

If you could get based in Phoenix commuting would be easy. There are many flights that go from the LA area to Phoenix. Get an east coast base and you might be in trouble.

I don't fly for Mesa, but have several friends who do. I believe they still have about 50 or so pilots still on furlough, with the majority of the recalls going to the Beech 1900. I would guess the rest of the furloughed pilots will be recalled sometime in the next few months, but again, that's just a guess. Mesa seems to be doing pretty well. No hiring plans for anytime in the near future, but that could always change.

As Wiggums said, commuting from Long Beach to Phoenix would be a breeze since you'd have 10-15 flights to choose from between SWA and America West. Unfortunately most new hires tend to get an east coast pilot base (CLT, DCA, PHL, etc) as a base, and not Phoenix.

Mesa still have 66 pilots on furlough but it is just a matter of time before they are recalled. A lot of the recalled were going to the Beech and the ERJ145 but future recall might be just for the Beech since we just picked some more essential air service and they will be mostly if not all beech flying. The beech flies basically everywhere with bases all over the country. Upgrade was pretty quick before 9/11 and is a blast to fly.

Jonathan Orenstien says that the new EAS flying will be with BE-1900s pulled off of unprofitable routes. No new airplanes and no additional pilots required. For the last 65 the wait will be a little longer.

Latest resources

Back