Mesa to fly Dash-8's out of JFK for Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No one else!

Take it for what its worth, but the day before this came out in the papers, Fred told my recurrent ground class that this was going to be announced and that Comair was offered the Dash 8 flying but turned it down because he didnt want to bring the D8 into our fleet.

Just talked with a very good friend that was at the JA meeting and he stated that Skywest was asked to provide Turboprop support at JFK, and JA stated that it would be to much of an expense to try and move to that station. I am guessing that he would have used the E-120's if he could accommodate Delta management. I am not sure if the intent was to actually use the Dash-8's. I am under the impression that Mesa will use their own -8's and that is why that airframe is being used. It looks as if Mesa is the last resort. :smash:

General Lee said:
Can a Dash 8 carry more cargo (for INTL connections--could be a lot) than an RJ? Also, RJs on very short legs are probably too expensive (PVD--JFK, BDL--JFK, ALB--JFK, PHL--JFK) Getting on a prop may be interesting for most of the passengers, but it can equal a shorter trip for some of the connections to their INTL cities. It will be interesting to watch. Where are those Comair Dash-8-400s??

Bye Bye--General Lee

Good point. When we flew the 328 from PHL to JFK and BOS to JFK it was all Int'l connections. The cargo compartment would either bulk out or weigh out, causing a CG problem. It was always a cluster.

General Lee said:
Where are those Comair Dash-8-400s??

Bye Bye--General Lee

US Airways was told that even if an order was put in for Q400's you wouldn't see one for nearly 2 years! Huge orders in Europe for this airplane.... Seems they are cashing in there 50 Seat Rj's for them. Fuel prices in Europe make it a much better aircraft for them to operate.

That Q400 order backlog is BS. Take a look at how long its taking IslandAir to get theirs. Not long at all.

El Ocho said:
It is supposed to be 12 "new" dash 8s for Mesa probably of the -100 variety.

The aircraft will be former PDT Dash 8-200 models.

The ironic part of this whole issue is that PDT is returning the -200 leases because they are not economically viable. I wonder how much more of a negative impact this will have on US Air now, having to compete with the airplanes it once flew. Doesn't make sense.

PropPiedmont said:
The aircraft will be former PDT Dash 8-200 models.

Pretty ironic. I'll see your 200's, and call with my contract... We still win. Nice comfy seats in most of them for the spineless twats driving them, so that's a bonus. They'll blast Delta's performance numbers within 12 months, worry ye not.

OPECJet said:
That Q400 order backlog is BS. Take a look at how long its taking IslandAir to get theirs. Not long at all.

They picked those up used! Remember that this aircraft is already 8 years old. We only need them to get about another 10 years old on top of that before we can find and get some wore out Q400's at PDT.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back