Mesa still have furloughs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well that depends....

It depends how you want to look at it. Mesa has a pool of about 70 right now(give or take a few). The current pool has hardly if at all moved due to the fact that there are three groups that have been slotted in before the poolies. The CCAir pilots, Jet for Jobs pilots, and freedumb (who I hate to label pilots) employees. I would consider the first two groups to be furloughs. There are no original Mesa furloughees left as far as I know. I hope this answers your question.

Sincerely,
Yogi

There are about 40 or so CCair guys/gals still waiting on a call. All of them are trying to wait on an ERJ class for CLT. Unfortunately since Mesa has already been to the bottom of the CCair list and started back up they have to go into whatever class is available that their seniority will hold. Don't know how many J4J pilots we will be hiring in the future or how many MAPD grads are still out there. There are 0 actual MESA pilots on furlough. As far as the Freedom guys go: they will be re-integrated onto the seniority list at some point in the near future. The ORIGINAL Freedumb people hired off the street go to the bottom of the list and the rest that jumped over from Mesa get their old seniority slot back. The sad thing about Freedom is that when some of the CCair pilots were called back they had ALL CRJ bases on their bid. This meant that some got the CRJ in PHX under the Freedom certificate. $ucks because they are getting denied jumpseats by America West and USair just because they fly for Freedom. ALPA did a great job educating us on why we shouldn't go to Freedom when they first started but kind of dropped the ball on re-educating that Freedom is now an ALPA carrier and a lot of the new pilots never tried to "break the union".

There is still no idea when the next class will be running. Rumors at the training center are sometime in July a Dash and or ERJ class and possible another CRJ class. The last recurrent ERJ class was sent back to CLT a day into it to cover flying. Mesa is wicked short on crews for all equipment. Management seem to react to a shortage rather than planning ahead.

How many times can CCAir pilots turn down a class date? Is it based on # of classes offered or based on a date. I have heard that they can turn down two classes and still be considered for the third, I have also heard they can turn down classes until next March. Any clarity? I'm in the pool at Mesa so any info is appreciated.

My understanding is CC Air guys can turn down as many classes as they want until March 2004, but, once you are the most junior CC Air guy and are offered a class, you must take it or lose your position at MAG. So, now that the CC Air list is being called in reverse (the most junior guy, then the new most junior guy, etc- the whole go down the list and back up it), there are approximatley 40 or so CC Air guys left to be called, who are all wanting the ERJ in CLT. From now on, if a CC Air guy is called, he would be the most junior CC Air pilot, and MUST take the GS or give up his position, and then the next highest one is now the most junior, and he must now make the same decision. Unless it takes Mesa until March 2004 to call 40 guys, the CC Air guys won't have to worry about hitting the March 2004 deadline. It'll really blow for some of them if they get called for a 1900 GS when they have the seniority to hold RJ Captain.

-Boo!

Latest resources

Back