Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
While I don't work there, I do use them to commute to/from work a lot. (A big thank you to those involved by the way.)

I've heard repeatedly that 250 out of the approximately 1500 total Mesa pilots will time out next month.

Is this true? Does anyone have any hard numbers? If Mesa truly does lose 1/6th of their workforce I've got to assume 1/6 of their flights will go too.

Even though you do not work there they may try and junior man you. This should help with some of their flying.

I worked for Mesa several years ago. Many of the pilots schedules averaged more than 83.3 hours per month so they were set up to time out from the beginning of the year (I knew a few pilots who bid their schedule with this in mind - guaranteed them Xmas and New Years off). Then they would pull instructor pilots to fill in whatever gaps they could so they couldn't train more pilots to fill in the gaps for the people who had timed out. But, in the end many flights were cancelled each day because of lack of foresight. It seems they still haven't learned anything.

where are you commuting from? If you are trying to commute on a CRJ or ERJ flight you will probably have issues. Our dash (DEN & PHX) operations are more than adequately staffed.

While I don't work there, I do use them to commute to/from work a lot. (A big thank you to those involved by the way.)

I've heard repeatedly that 250 out of the approximately 1500 total Mesa pilots will time out next month.

Is this true? Does anyone have any hard numbers? If Mesa truly does lose 1/6th of their workforce I've got to assume 1/6 of their flights will go too.

Nobody really knows. With the exception of the few people who make it their goal to time out (who are being very successful this year) the "time-out" numbers are all rumor. I have yet to meet somebody who is expecting to time-out this year, although doubtless there are a few.

Remember - last week it was a solid gold, rock bottom fact that the Board was going to fire JO. This week, not so much.

Is this true?

At Mesa we bid every 28 days (Not monthly) for 13 bids a year. This year with atrition out of controll (87 at peak in one month from 1800 or so pilots) the company started a new technique. They began to cram as much into all of the lines as possible. Redcing about 2/3rds of the lines to 10 days off and almost all of them had around 92 hours of flying. Keep in mind that 92 in 28 is roughly the same as 100 in a month.

The union advised the company of the poor quality of life and very time consuming schedules this was causing and the company handeled it the same way they handle all of our other complaints. The union advised the company that timeouts would occur in mass numbers if they diddn't change the scheduling practices.

The truth be told: The unions model shows about 190 timming out and the company shows around 250.

I have flown with 3 consecutive captains that will not make December. It will be a problem and something like 2000 hours of our flying in ORD was given to SkyWest for December.

So will the sky fall? I don't have a crystal ball to determine that but it is gonna be a fun Christmas.

Every year I worked at that dump "the sky is falling" message came around every year.

Every year, the company came up with a new way to ignore the CBA and get the flights staffed.

Every year, the ALPA filed a grievance, but bent over and did what it was told to by management pending a ruling. Which they eventually "won", but got f'd in the interim.

I'd say relax. Mesa pilots and their ALPA union are the most management-compliant pilots in the business. Mesa will find a way to fly those flights.

They have given a lot of it away to SKW at ORD, so yes I guess they found a way to fly those flights.

Latest resources

Back