Mesa pay scale

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
everyonedoa360 said:
While I don't want to get into a big pissing match on this and I'm not saying what mesa agreed to was correct, there seems to be a lot of pilots out there that seem to think that a regional pilot should be paid the same a major pilot. This cannot be anyplace near the truth. There is only so much money that a RJ, EMB120 or BE!900 can make for any company and with that there is only so much money a company can afford to pay a pilot. Just look at the majors and one of the main reasons they are in such a dire state is because pilots voted to keep giving them self's record pilot rates and the company was forced to give in. Now, they are paying for it. I bet 75% or so of the pilots at UAL would not have voted to give themselves a huge pay increase last time if they new it would bring them to there knees a few years later.

I would love to make 300K+ a year flying an RJ, but unless I work for a company that has no plans of staying in business it will (And should) not ever happen.

No pissing contest... but you are just wrong. First of all, you are going from one extreme to another. Contrary to your belief as well as the opinion of many misinformed, UAL's misfortunes were hardly due to industry-leading contract their pilots had at that time. The problem was management, and even now continues to be management. If you look at UAL's past investments, failed USAirways merger, Avolar fiasco, failed business plan/pricing, you'll see that those were specific cases of gross mismanagement. But that's another story altogether.

While I realize that you won't see RJ pilots make $300k, there is nothing wrong with them making 100k, and FO's being in 60k range. Maybe you can check DC-9 rates at NWA. Mesa is flying 70 and 90 seat jets. Comparable. What about AA F-100's? OK, so those were mainline rates. Take a look at Comair rates vs. Mesa rates.

The regionals have evolved from flying Chieftains to flying 90 seat jets. While regionals used to be stepping stones to the heavy iron, it just no longer seems to be the case, nor would it be necessary had the pilots at those regionals have the cajones to make their airlines become career airlines. My hat is off to Comair and Air Wisconsin pilots for willingness to put their jobs on the line to make their airlines become career airlines. Mesa pilots obviously dropped the ball. Let's hope their actions don't drag the rest of the regionals into the race to the bottom.

First of all, I never stated as fact the 18 month raises. I "thought" that's what they were. I was incorrect and a person more educated about the contract than I corrected me. Thank you. About the rampers...unless you've got over 2 years at mesa, you're an F.O. making horrible pay. There are rampers (not all of them by any means) making more than you after you've been at a company for 2 years! I consider 2 years pretty senior (that would put you pretty deep into the mesa list). Should our paychecks as pilots be only a few thousand more a year (assuming the ramper isn't working any overtime)? You guys worked hard for your ratings and spent a lot of money to go to school. It is a sad day when we equate our value to that of a ramper. Before anyone says, "but my dad is/was a ramper"...I was a ramper at one time as well. They typically don't have 4 year degrees though and anyone with a GED and common sense can be a ramper. Is LearLove one of the few mesa guys that actually understands how poor of a contract you guys settled for?

No, i am one as well. All i was i didn'tsaying is, even though vote it in, i was just getting sick of the mesa bashing. I understand what all you guys are saying(trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), i just got sick of the same comments! I really think you guys were going overboard with it. Especially the threats with the jumpseat.

nite guys!
disgruntled mesa f/o.

PS. i do make more than the rampers, i can assure you that!

Hey guys, this is quite a debate you're waging. Hope I'm not intruding or straying from the theme, but, is this why Mesa is able to offer an interview to a 300TT pilot? I'm just finishing my comm/Inst./multi and considering their PACE program. I'm 35 and don't want to instruct. I want to get on the flightline ASAP. Low pay doesn't seem to bother me at this point. I just want a job.

IS PACE a good option?

UMMMM hello........

"Is LearLove one of the few mesa guys that actually understands how poor of a contract you guys settled for?"

Is it me, or isn't it quite obvious that I work for Allegheny. Look to the left.

Something I'd like to point out to some guys around here. Not to sound like a jerk or plug my own pilot group but newer guys to the regional industry are always pointing to Air Wiss and Comair guys for pushing limit when it comes to contracts. While this is correct and they deserve all the credit and reward that is due, I'd like to bring attention to the grey haired 20+ year Capt. sitting in a PDT or ALG Dash that started it all while many of us were still in high school. Please research mid 80's on to get the full history.

I mean were talking individual guys with more total time than combined total time of the whole Chit Taco first officer seniority list.

So next time you hear/see a old man flyin a Dash around or give props to Air Wiss/Comair, please give credit where the orginal credit is due. Thanks

Jerichka - there is nothing in this world worth doing thats easy. Please do not shortcut yourself.

LearLove - commin at you from sunny Key West baby.

True LearLove,

I'm a Piemont pilot and love listening to the stories of the past. These guys had back bones!! Remember having a SkyWest Captain jumpseat and said that they were fight to get what Piedmont had as work rules. Makes you proud to fly with these guys. Parking airplanes to get food (Which gave us Crew Meals). About not backing down on what they wanted in there contract. I think Piedmont was the first regional to get Block or Better. Fighting for CX and MX pay!! Even taxi pay to repo an airplane. If I take a ICE Test home or any written to do it on my own time I get paid. We still have that unity along with a great work rules, but now are bargining ability sucks because we have to compete with Contract scum.
Hopefully we (PDT,ALG) will rise to the Top again. Thank god we have Companies like Comair, ACA, Willy and some others that can take the ball we gave them and run with it.

PS: If Henson the Founder of Piedmont saw what has happen to is old company I think he would be spinning in his grave.

AWACoff said:
About the rampers...unless you've got over 2 years at mesa, you're an F.O. making horrible pay. There are rampers (not all of them by any means) making more than you after you've been at a company for 2 years! I consider 2 years pretty senior (that would put you pretty deep into the mesa list). Should our paychecks as pilots be only a few thousand more a year (assuming the ramper isn't working any overtime)? You guys worked hard for your ratings and spent a lot of money to go to school. It is a sad day when we equate our value to that of a ramper.

actually 2 years at mesa isnt crap. I have just flipped over at 2 years and I am about 950 out of the 1200 pilots here. Yes I am still a Beech FO too, and made 20K last year.

jetdriven are you a downgraded capt because you list a 1900 type but say your an FO? I didn't think Mesa downgraded anyone or still had guys downgraded.

Latest resources

Back