Mesa pay scale

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATR-DRIVR said:
I would imagine in todays environment very few consider a regional airline a stepping stone to anything.

I would too, but having more than one conversation with some of my friends at various regionals (Mesa included), they say they don't care how much they make because their airline "is not a career airline."

"I just want to build my time to move on, I'll care when I get to the career airline."

"Who cares about what happens at the regional level?"

I've heard all of those, and it's sad, but that attitude still persists. Amazing, isn't it?

.....I would too, but having more than one conversation with some of my friends at various regionals (Mesa included), they say they don't care how much they make because their airline "is not a career airline." .....

And never will be as long as people have this attitude. It's all done, so let's let it go so Mesa new-hires don't catch hell over something they had nothing to do with later. Better luck next time....

Yeah,
but the rampers are working more than 1000 hours per year. Remember, pilots on 30 seat and smaller equipment can work on the 135 flight time limitations which equals 1200 hours per year. Anyways, overtime is easy to pick up as a ramper. SO...with the average work week of 40hrs x 52...plus overtime. Yeah, the rampers are making the same if not more than some pretty senior pilots EDIT(read: FOs with a significant amount of people junior to them on the seniority list)EDIT at Mesa. Pathetic.

Last edited:
ERJdca said:
....... i gotta live with it do you? Are you a pre-strike comair, or post just curious? Did you guys grill eagle this much?

Your wrong, we do have to live with it when our companies say to us that we cannot get increases in work rules and pay because then we wouldnt be ablt to compete with you! You guys have cheapened the industry.

AWACoff said:

"but the rampers are working more than 1000 hours per year. Remember, pilots on 30 seat and smaller equipment can work on the 135 flight time limitations which equals 1200 hours per year. Anyways, overtime is easy to pick up as a ramper. SO...with the average work week of 40hrs x 52...plus overtime. Yeah, the rampers are making the same if not more than some pretty senior pilots at Mesa. Pathetic."

I don't know where you are coming up with your math. The most junior Mesa 50-seat jet captain was hired in February of 2000, that means he has a little more than 3 year seniority and is paid at year 4 rate with new contract: $55.99/hr.
1000 hrs per year --> $ 56,000 per year without counting per-diem.

According to my info, most airlines pay rampers at around $8-12/hr, at $12 * 40hrs * 52weeks = $24,960 per year.

Next time, think before you spit out false info.

Until pilots at regionals stop treating their airlines like stepping-stones, this trend will unfortunately continue.

While I don't want to get into a big pissing match on this and I'm not saying what mesa agreed to was correct, there seems to be a lot of pilots out there that seem to think that a regional pilot should be paid the same a major pilot. This cannot be anyplace near the truth. There is only so much money that a RJ, EMB120 or BE!900 can make for any company and with that there is only so much money a company can afford to pay a pilot. Just look at the majors and one of the main reasons they are in such a dire state is because pilots voted to keep giving them self's record pilot rates and the company was forced to give in. Now, they are paying for it. I bet 75% or so of the pilots at UAL would not have voted to give themselves a huge pay increase last time if they new it would bring them to there knees a few years later.

I would love to make 300K+ a year flying an RJ, but unless I work for a company that has no plans of staying in business it will (And should) not ever happen.

"The most junior Mesa 50-seat jet captain was hired in February of 2000, that means he has a little more than 3 year seniority and is paid at year 4 rate with new contract: $55.99/hr.
1000 hrs per year --> $ 56,000 per year without counting per-diem."

feb 2000 DOH at the WO can't even hold a capt slot in the dash anymore. The most junior Capt DOH is now dec98/jan99.

That same downgraded FO is now at 27.01 at 1000 pay hours/year thats 27,000. 56-27 is 29000 diff, boy did we F*ckup. I'm gonna go cry now.

Last edited:
Another AWACoff error...

Actually AWACoff, you're wrong again. Pay rates increase annually with DOH, the 18 month stipulation is for across the board pay raises.

I realize that you are upset with Mesa's new contract, but your responses reek of childish behaviour and gross exageration. Just how did you arrive at the idea that any ramper at Mesa makes more than a "pretty senior Mesa pilot." It's not even funny, it's buffoonery and it cheapens your reputation to those that read these boards for honest and well thought out opinions. A young boy can have an opinion....a man thinks before he speaks. I urge you to control yourself and realize that even though you are only one person, you identify yourself with Air Wisconsin and other readers can't help but make connections between the two. I happen to believe that most Air Whiskey pilots are professionals, and gentlemen at that...certainly the ones I have met (this board aside).

Again, you are all always welcome in my jumpseat. Even you AWACoff.

Latest resources

Back