Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boknowsASA

US Airways Express flight strikes coyote at Oregon airport​
A Mesa-operated US Airways Express flight struck and killed a coyote in the wee hours of Monday morning when the jet landed at Medford, Ore., according to The Associated Press. "We have wildlife issues all the time, but this is the first I've ever heard of a coyote strike," airport manager Bern Case tells the Mail Tribune of Medford. There was no damage to the jet, and Case says it's possible that passengers may not have even felt the impact.

This is what the AP spends their time on? Reporting a bump on landing that the people couldn't feel?

The fact that the pilots are overworked and probably fell asleep on their way out there isn't mentioned

Apparently it sucks to work at Mesa so much that they have resorted to hiring roadrunners as pilots.

US Airways Express flight strikes coyote at Oregon airport​
A Mesa-operated US Airways Express flight struck and killed a coyote in the wee hours of Monday morning when the jet landed at Medford, Ore., according to The Associated Press. "We have wildlife issues all the time, but this is the first I've ever heard of a coyote strike," airport manager Bern Case tells the Mail Tribune of Medford. There was no damage to the jet, and Case says it's possible that passengers may not have even felt the impact.

I'm sure the lawsuit from PETA and their far left hippie friends is right around the cornner.

I hate coyotes; they are a popular nuisance at my home airport.

Unfortunately, its often not legal to set up with a 22-250 and take care of your "problem" wildlife.

About two months ago, I was cleared position and hold on ATL RWY 27R behind a departing Airtran 73. About half way down the runway, the Airtran reported that they were aborting because they "blew a tire". I suspect that they were near V1, because they were way down the runway. Then the captain came on and said they "hit a coyote" and needed to "inspect the airplane to see if anything fell off". It was quite comical. They pulled over on Lima and their mtc checked them out. Then the airport ops vehicles had to inspect the runway for the "missing parts" and indeed found a dead coyote around the intersection of 27R and Dixie.

So it's not just small airports. Who'd have thunk a coyote in the middle of 'da ATL?

Huh. I've done the "coyote smash" maneuver.

Guess I should have called the local news team for some hero worship instead of, oh, the faa, the company, the mechanic, the airport manager, and the local police department for an after-hours runway inspection.

On the other hand, you can be sure that this poor crew had a good 2 hours shaved from their 2 hour nappy time in the back of the plane.

More and More people around town and city airports monitor the radios with scanners that will not miss a thing. I don't think the crew or airport people would make this a news issue but some poor newspaper with nothing but the sunrise for news will....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back