• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MESA gets US Airways CRJ700s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you said it my man. "When furloughed mainliners have a stake in the contract of a regional (when they fly for them), that's when mainline and ALPA might finally start acting to help raise the regional rates (or at least stop this round of concessions)". the furloughed mainliners are only going to care about the regionals that they are working for at the time they are working for them. as soon as they get their mainline jobs back(if and when that happens) it's gonna be back to the same old crap, ("the regoinals are taking all of our flying")
Face it, as much as you or I would like all of the pilots to come together and put a stop to this madness. There are too many greedy CEO's out there, too many guys willing to work for nothing and too many people afraid to take a stand.(mesa), come on, didn't even vote it down once???

Last edited:
FL000 said:
You want to do some research on that and try it again before you get your balls busted?

Whoops! ACA , not ASA.

My bad!
-Boo!

jetdriven said:
all of the CRJ-705's are being flown by MESA pilots only. J4J appplies only to 50 seaters.

Press Release Source: US Airways
US Airways Will Not Take Delivery of CRJ-705 Aircraft; Mesa Airlines to Operate CRJ-700 as US Airways Express
Wednesday July 9, 3:15 pm ET

ARLINGTON, Va., July 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways said today that it has notified Bombardier Aerospace that it will not be taking delivery of the 25 CRJ-705 regional jet aircraft ordered in May, and instead, will contract with Mesa Airlines to fly at least 25, and perhaps as many as 55 70- seat regional jets under the US Airways Express name.

The decision was made after US Airways and its Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) unit could not reach an agreement on terms under which the 75-seat CRJ- 705 would be flown by a wholly owned US Airways affiliate using furloughed US Airways pilots under the carrier's 'Jets For Jobs' program.

"We continue to believe that the CRJ-705 falls within the parameters of our contract with ALPA, and we were enthusiastic about the purchase of these planes, which would have provided jobs for up to an additional 225 furloughed US Airways pilots," said Bruce Ashby, president of US Airways Express. "ALPA disagreed, and rather than spend months -- maybe even years -- negotiating and arbitrating our differences, we have decided instead to place the jets at Mesa. That will mean fewer jobs for furloughed pilots and at lower wage rates, but it reflects the position ALPA has maintained in representing its members."

Under the US Airways-ALPA 'Jets For Jobs' agreement, half of all regional jet pilot positions at affiliate carriers such as Mesa must be filled with furloughed US Airways pilots. But 100 percent of the jobs associated with the CRJ-700 series and Embraer 170/175 aircraft go to furloughed pilots placed at the airline's regional carriers (PSA, Piedmont and Allegheny) or its new wholly owned MidAtlantic Airways division.

"Throughout our negotiations, we impressed upon ALPA the need to stay on track in order to take delivery of these new regional jets," said Ashby. "We finally concluded that we must agree to disagree, and since we must continue to run the company and implement our new business plan, the end result was the decision to utilize Mesa and its workforce, since that is the net result of ALPA's position."

MidAtlantic will be flying Embraer 170/175 aircraft. The CRJ-705 seats 75 passengers in a dual-class configuration, with a maximum gross takeoff weight of 82,500 pounds. The Embraer 175, which ALPA has already agreed to fly at regional jet pay rates and work rules, seats 76 passengers in a dual configuration, with a maximum gross takeoff weight of 85,517 pounds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: US Airways

There aren't going to be any CRJ-705's they have all been converted to CRJ-700's. Thats what the fuss is all about. Is the part about half of all new pilot jobs at affiliated carriers not correct? Certainly seems that this has been the plan all along.

Stillaboo is right on this one. ALPA hosed it all a long time ago by treating the regionals as second class citizens.

I admit Mesa is a sh1tty place to work, and we might just blow it by being unprepared for the growth, ok, will probably blow it, but if we pull it off somehow and ALPA still ignores us in 5 years when we go back to the table I'm flying up to Herndon and burning my card.

To those at the WO's I was under the impression that this won't affect your 50 seat orders since the jets Mesa is putting into service were originally for Mid-Atlantic.

I hope I'm right, because its getting old watching Airways dick with you so much.

"The Embraer 175, which ALPA has already agreed to fly at regional jet pay rates and work rules, seats 76 passengers in a dual configuration, with a maximum gross takeoff weight of 85,517 pounds."
SOURCE US Airways

WHY has ALPA agreed to fly the EMJ 175 at regional jet rates?!

The Jet Blue guys get pissed if you call their new EMJ's "RJ's", and they're right! Their pilots won't fly the EMJ's "at regional jet pay rates and work rules", so why should US guys do it?

Even Orenstein (Mesa's CEO) is laughing at ALPA. An ALPA rep called sending all of MidAtlantic's jets (and jobs) to Mesa "a victory for pilots".

JO's response: "I am generally very competitive - but I don't mind "losing" this match."

Un-freakin'-believable!

-Boo!

The Jet Blue guys get pissed if you call their new EMJ's "RJ's", and they're right! Their pilots won't fly the EMJ's "at regional jet pay rates and work rules", so why should US guys do it?

David Neilman has said that the pay rates for the EMB190 at Jet Blue will be proportional to the pay rates in the Airbus. This will put them 60-65% of what the Airbus rates are. These ARE regional payscales and their work rules are no better than some of the regional airlines.

DoinTime said:
These ARE regional payscales and their work rules are no better than some of the regional airlines.

Really, their 1st year FO pay on the EMR will be the same as say, CMR's (pick another regional if you wish)? Really? Are you sure? Is there a 'Blue guy who can answer this?

Even if they are paid the same and their workrules are the same (which remains to be seen), there's still a difference.

'Blue guys make a living flying. The rest of us fly to make a living. See the difference?

-Boo!

'Blue guys make a living flying. The rest of us fly to make a living. See the difference?

The only difference is how you perceive yourself.

You obviously perceive yourself as not being worth very much and your new contract shows that.

Latest resources

Back