• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa 1900 flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kinda off topic, but...did my eyes deceive me or did I see 2 Mesa 1900s in SLC the other day? Are they flying EAS routes out of there now?

Ok.. I don't want to hear any Mesa bashing here.. I know everyones thoughts... I would like some honest answers from any Mesa 1900 drivers current or former. I wanted the Dash at Mesa and instead got offered the 1900. I'm now highly undecided. I mostly wanted the Dash because it was more commutable and I plan to move to Denver next summer, and I could probably hold a line there by then. So..

1. If I take the 1900 can I upgrade to Dash captain or only to 1900 capt then jet captain.

2. How bad is commuting the 1900 lines.. I know all the bases are small outstations.. is it a doable commute or he&l on earth.

3. Do you guys like the flying??

Let me say that I am very opened minded.. in it for the experience not opposed to flying the 1900.. just worried about how tough life will be doing that compared to the Dash.. thanks guys..

cale

As a Mesa CA I suggest you go to Skywest. DO NOT go to the Beach at Mesa. Life on the Beach is Much worse the the Jet. Forget-about-it!!!!!!!! -Bean

SAN DIEGO, CA. Tuesday, Oct. 24th - 9:00 AM,, HOLIDAY INN BAYSIDE 4875 NORTH HARBOR DRIVE SAN DIEGO, CA
*Bring your resume and copy of your current First Class medical, pilot license, drivers license and passport.
SAN FRACISCO, CA. Thursday, Oct. 26th - 12:00 PM, DOUBLETREE HOTEL 835 AIRPORT BLVD. BURLINGAME, CA
*Bring your resume and copy of your current First Class medical, pilot license, drivers license and passport.PORTLAND, OR. Tuesday, Nov. 14th - 9:00 AM, HOLIDAY INN AIRPORT 8439 NE COLUMBIA BLVD. PORTLAND, OR
*Bring your resume and copy of your current First Class medical, pilot license, drivers license and passport.

Skywest road shows. Fill out the online application and go to one. Wear a tie and be ready to take the written test.

Scott

Ok.. I don't want to hear any Mesa bashing here.. I know everyones thoughts... I would like some honest answers from any Mesa 1900 drivers current or former. I wanted the Dash at Mesa and instead got offered the 1900. I'm now highly undecided. I mostly wanted the Dash because it was more commutable and I plan to move to Denver next summer, and I could probably hold a line there by then. So..

1. If I take the 1900 can I upgrade to Dash captain or only to 1900 capt then jet captain.

no only dash fo's and "special" street hires can sit in the left seat of the dash. the contract has fences for the props and it sucks.

2. How bad is commuting the 1900 lines.. I know all the bases are small outstations.. is it a doable commute or he&l on earth.

this is quite funny. commuting?!?! haha.

the 1900 lines are typically an am / pm shift and a weekend shift. due to the small nature of the bases commuting is usually accomplished a day before and after. the best base imho is JBR as the lines are easy and its a simple 1 hr drive to MEM to commute.

listen to bean. the 1900 QoL sucks. at least the jet at mesa is in major airports with commuting options. also the AMW chief pilot is an old, cantankerous bastahd.

Thanks for all the folks who gave honest feedback..

Contrary to popular opinion I've decided to take it and give it a shot. I know its going to make for a tough year or two.. but I gotta cut my teeth somewhere... the long and short of it is I'll get a lot more out of flying a 1900 for the next year than I will instructing in a skyhawk. If I hate it after a year I can move on somewhere else and have gotten some good experience... if it isn't as bad as its made out to be.. well then I can stick it out a bit longer and take a shot at jet capt.

It looks like with a little luck there are some decent 1900 bases and lines with 12 days off and single leg commutes from big cities.. I can handle that so...

thanks all

cale

Thanks for all the folks who gave honest feedback..

Contrary to popular opinion I've decided to take it and give it a shot. I know its going to make for a tough year or two.. but I gotta cut my teeth somewhere... the long and short of it is I'll get a lot more out of flying a 1900 for the next year than I will instructing in a skyhawk. If I hate it after a year I can move on somewhere else and have gotten some good experience... if it isn't as bad as its made out to be.. well then I can stick it out a bit longer and take a shot at jet capt.

It looks like with a little luck there are some decent 1900 bases and lines with 12 days off and single leg commutes from big cities.. I can handle that so...

thanks all

cale

with your time you'll probably upgrade in 6-10 months. Might want to keep that in mind.

P.S. 12 days off sounds like a lot, but it ain't. Here the minimum per contract is 12 days off and it ain't fun if you happen to get those lines (or reserve) even for a non-commuter.

You'd be better off packing everything in your car and moving to base (seriously).

Keep in mind at AMW the minimum days off is 10. They are short staffed in some bases and only have 2 crews covering all the flying and thus expect a 5 on 2 off schedule not the typical 4 on 3 off.

Latest resources

Back