Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wrigley23

I got that goin' for me
Well I did a search to see if I'm the first jack@$$ to ask this and didn't see anything so...when did Shuttle America start calling themselves Mercury and why are you guys going by both? Now you have Shuttlecraft, Mercury, Brickyard, and Chautauqua call signs all under one roof? I heard controllers and pilots interchange Mercury with Shuttlecraft all week. SA guys, must be odd eh?

Ground: "Give way to that Mercury...."

"The Grand Marquis or the Cougar?"

I think mercury sounds good, but I agree why so much crap at chilly taco?

It was Crossroads with the initial change but there was immediate confusion with ATC because that was too close to "Cross runway" clearances so that got nixed a day or two after it started and we went back to "Shuttlecraft".
Then it was suddenly decided we were "Mercury" and that's been our official callsign for a couple weeks now but Sometimes ATC still calls us "Shuttlecraft" out of habit. Most of the time they'll say "Shuttlecr....correction MERCURY 7510...." or we'll correct them. As time goes on and they get more used to the callsign, you won't hear Shuttlecraft at all.

If your gonna say a callsign 100 times a day you think it would be something shorter than 3 syllables. If predict a short life for this callsign as well.

It was Crossroads with the initial change but there was immediate confusion with ATC because that was too close to "Cross runway" clearances so that got nixed a day or two after it started and we went back to "Shuttlecraft".
Then it was suddenly decided we were "Mercury" and that's been our official callsign for a couple weeks now but Sometimes ATC still calls us "Shuttlecraft" out of habit. Most of the time they'll say "Shuttlecr....correction MERCURY 7510...." or we'll correct them. As time goes on and they get more used to the callsign, you won't hear Shuttlecraft at all.

It ain't just ATC - yesterday a crew calls in with Shuttlecraft and the controllers says "you can't have it both ways, what is it, Shuttlecraft or Mercury" and the crews apologises and says they'd like Mercury please. Of course the controller gets it wrong and catches himself 2 transmissions later.

It's going to be a while......

Our management are Freddy Mercury fans. Haha.

No I believe it came from someone being previously employed at NASA.

Latest resources

Back