Memorial Day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KC-10 Driver

It's Monday night, Memorial Day. I've been to 4 separate "Memorial Day" cook-outs/barbeques/picnics this weekend.

At not one of these "Memorial Day" functions did anyone make any mention of remembering our fallen service men and women.

However, I did have one neighbor tell me that he was thinking about joining the Army after high school, then Desert Shield happened. Well, he wouldn't want to actually have to fight if he joined the Army, so...

In church on Sunday, the priest did ask for a prayer for all our service members who have fallen in the defense of freedom, and we did sing "America the Beautiful" at the end of Mass. However, those were the only signs I saw of Memorial Day this weekend.

In fact, I drove down my street today. Of the 16 houses on my cul-de-sac, only three had an American flag hanging in front (mine included). When I was a kid, it seemed like every house had a flag out front on patriotic holidays.

As I tucked my boys into bed tonight, I asked them to say a prayer for all the American soldiers who have died in the past 230 years fighting for our country.

One of my sons asked how many soldiers had died -- he wanted to know all the names so that he could pray for them each by name. I told him that there were too many to pray for them by name, then I left his room for a few minutes. When I came back, he had Googled on his computer, "names of all soldiers killed in war". He really wanted to pray for them one by one.

Obviously, we can't do that. But, is it too much to ask for some homage paid to these heros?

I'm ranting -- I know. However, I hope that as many people as possible will read this and say a small prayer of thanks for all the men and women who have perished fighting for our great nation -- including those fighting and dying even today.

I know that's not too much to ask.

Last edited:
Too many. That's the answer. Thank you for your post, and your son's tender, greatful heart. I look at my girls and know why I do what I do. I thank my dad for doing what he did, and his father too. God bless those willing to serve so that others may live.

Great Post KC10 Driver,

For those who don't remember why we are here I just wanted to review my Memorial Day. I flew behind a KC-10 today in an F-15E on a deployment sortie with a loaded handgun. I was just an air spare (the guy who fills in if the other jets break) for a deployment, but this is the role I was asked to serve and I proudly did what was asked. It is a great day to watch a sky full of combat jets deploying on Memorial Day to support national objectives. On the way home I had an hour to reflect on the day and the meaning of the holiday becomes crystal clear. The guy/gal sleeping in a dug out foxhole with a gun is the one we should think about today.

Fish Alaska

KC-10 Driver said:
It's Monday night, Memorial Day. I've been to 4 separate "Memorial Day" cook-outs/barbeques/picnics this weekend.

At not one of these "Memorial Day" functions did anyone make any mention of remembering our fallen service men and women.

However, I did have one neighbor tell me that he was thinking about joining the Army after high school, then Desert Shield happened. Well, he wouldn't want to actually have to fight if he joined the Army, so...

In church on Sunday, the priest did ask for a prayer for all our service members who have fallen in the defense of freedom, and we did sing "America the Beautiful" at the end of Mass. However, those were the only signs I saw of Memorial Day this weekend.

In fact, I drove down my street today. Of the 16 houses on my cul-de-sac, only three had an American flag hanging in front (mine included). When I was a kid, it seemed like every house had a flag out front on patriotic holidays.

As I tucked my boys into bed tonight, I asked them to say a prayer for all the American soldiers who have died in the past 230 years fighting for our country.

One of my sons asked how many soldiers had died -- he wanted to know all the names so that he could pray for them each by name. I told him that there were too many to pray for them by name, then I left his room for a few minutes. When I came back, he had Googled on his computer, "names of all soldiers killed in war". He really wanted to pray for them one by one.

Obviously, we can't do that. But, is it too much to ask for some homage paid to these heros?

I'm ranting -- I know. However, I hope that as many people as possible will read this and say a small prayer of thanks for all the men and women who have perished fighting for our great nation -- including those fighting and dying even today.

Well if its any consolation - yesterday my good buddy and I - who were AFSOC for years (he still is) toasted to fallen comrades..and unfortunately we toasted too many times.
The Comp 7 that crashed in Iraq last Mem Day? Buddy of ours. The U2 in UAE? Buddy of ours and my AC while he and I flew all over Bosnia and called for Scott Ogrady on the radio (bet yall dont know another buddy in a gunship was the FIRST person to talk to him and actually authenticated him - THATS not in his book)...to the crew of the MC130H Albania crash - friends in the LM and FE position - to the MC130P crash in Afghanistan in Feb 03 - friends in every position and I happened to be #2 and watch them crash - they survived but got a toast...
so..we raised a glass...I suggest everyone do the same.
Yall fly safe.

PS and to the 1994 AC130H crash off the coast of Africa - ALL friends....some close.

KC-10 Driver said:

On the other hand I thanked my mother today for having the courage and determination to raise 2 children, putting them thru college (and one thru law school also) on a nurse salary after her husband got in his fighter jet one day and came back in a box.

thats my hero

Lear,

Your mother bore a heavy burden, as did you and your sibling. Whenever anyone is taken prematurely, those left behind have to find a way to carry on. Your mother certainly does deserve thanks and praise.

I guess I made my post out of guilt. I spent my whole weekend enjoying myself, drinking and eating good food. Then, I realized that while I was having a wonderful time, there are families who are mourning their loved ones -- in many cases fresh mourning. There are troops in combat right now who will never see their loved ones again. And, needless to say, their families will never see them, either.

I had to pause and remember why we have this holiday in the first place -- something I think too few people do, and something I did only late.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back