• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Raskal

big member, little pay
By Janet DiGiacomo
CNN

(CNN) -- A bicycle with a sticker advertising a Florida punk-folk band forced the evacuation of a Memphis, Tennessee, airport terminal late Monday afternoon, authorities said.

A pilot alerted airport police when he saw a bike with a sticker that read "this bike is a pipe bomb" parked near the passenger ramps of Terminal C at Memphis International Airport, according to the Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority.

"Terminal C ticketing and baggage claim at the airport were cleared out," said airport spokesman John Greaud. "A K-9 unit responded and found no explosive materials at the scene."

"This Bike is a Pipe Bomb" is the name of a band based in Pensacola, Florida, and this is not the first time in the band's 12-year history the name has caused a commotion.

Bikes sporting similar stickers at college campuses in Ohio and Philadelphia led to building closures, arrests and the bikes' destruction by bomb squads acting on the assumption the sticker was announcing a real threat.

The owner of the Memphis bike was taken into custody by airport police, Greaud said, but was later released because they had no grounds to hold him. Greaud said federal authorities were discussing possible federal charges, but a federal source said it was "a non-event."

I can't decide if this is hysterically funny or just pathetic...or both. Way to go Homeland Security and mucho kudos to that ever vigilant pilot for keeping us all safe from openly advertising punk band terrorist fan boys. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Q. What's the bad part of Memphis called?

A. Memphis.

Used to RON in Jackson TN, about 70 miles from MEM. The hotel had a Mem station for local news and damned if there wasn't some kind shooting or drug crazed moron barricaded in his project flat/hovel nearly every time I watched...

Oborat couldn't clean that place up if it was the only thing on his "To Do" list...

Bike bomb my arse...one of those big daisy cutters they drop from C-130's wouldn't even make an admirable start on cleaning up Mem!

Last edited:
punk-folk band?

I consider folk punk to be more like the Dropkick Murphy's or Flogging Molly. I could be totally wrong though.

Latest resources

Back