MEL process

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get the Master MEL from http://www.opspecs.com/

Write your MEL using the MMEL information, adding (M) Maintenance and (O) Operations Procedures, and fitting it to the specific aircraft and equipment you have.

Submit this to your local FSDO, and wait for an approval. Not sure if this is 91 or 135, but I don't think you need a specific approval for 91. For 135 you will also need an MEL Management Program, various forms, and whatever else your FSDO can come up with. You'll also need MEL "INOP EQUIPMENT" stickers or placards.

There are plenty of companies that will do this for youl. It is quite indimidating, but after a while, its pretty easy. I'm currently writing my fifth MEL (maybe I should start my OWN company) :D

Best of Luck!

ac 91-67 is good reading if you are new to this also.

make an appointment with your local fsdo and they will issue you the current mmel, or get it from opspecs, and they will explain the process to you.

For 91 you do not need a written MEL. You need a letter from the local FSDO authorizing you to operate from the MMEL. This letter and the MMEL must be in the aircraft.

A MEL Management Program is not required. Some FSDOs seem to want it. Your best source of information is Order 8400.10 'Air Carrier Inspector's Handbook'. It is available online. There is a section on MELs. It is the guidelines for all FAA inspectors.

No you are not required to have an MEL. BUT then everything has to work all the time. It is a Catch 22.

Latest resources

Back