• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MEIs..what would you charge for this?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tough to really give a "blanket" answer to you dilemma, insasmuch as you didn't say whether or not the guy has an AMEL with instr. privileges or not, how much AMEL time he has, how much MEI time you have, especially in C-340's, the part of the country you live in, etc. Having given several thousand checkrides though,and if you're an experienced MEI , I wouldn't give my timeaway in a C-340 for anything less than$150/hr.I had an electrician at my house last week-end and he charged me $99/hr., portal to portal! Here's the bottom line though, if you think the guy is a jerk, don't even bother with him as there is too much of a chance for the "halo effect" to seep in and potentially taint the training. Good luck"

$200/day plus expenses

I'd say that is way low. Here in FL, Cirrus training in the customer's plane is $425/day plus expenses.

You are in a unique position because you have virtually no competition. I am not an MEI yet, but I sure as heck wouldn't charge a sub-$100/hr rate for instruction that nobody else in the area could perform.

Charge accordingly.

I'd say that is way low. Here in FL, Cirrus training in the customer's plane is $425/day plus expenses.

You are in a unique position because you have virtually no competition. I am not an MEI yet, but I sure as heck wouldn't charge a sub-$100/hr rate for instruction that nobody else in the area could perform.

Charge accordingly.

Hey, all power to anyone that can get that for a days work.

Hey, all power to anyone that can get that for a days work.
It is not that hard, if someone can buy a Cirrus, they can pay for a professional flight instructor. I was amazed to find what I could charge.

and I am still doing that part time, gives me a good second income(almost doubles what I make at the regional).

I thought a regional or any airline "owned" all of your professional flying. Has something to do with flight time limits among other things. I'm not going to tell on you or anything, just like to hear what you have to say on the topic. I'm still a CFI but have already resigned myself to no more instucting after I get a part 121 job (or even some 135s). Is there hope?

Geez, this sounds like an Ebay auction.....what did we start out with? 50.00?

I thought a regional or any airline "owned" all of your professional flying. Has something to do with flight time limits among other things. I'm not going to tell on you or anything, just like to hear what you have to say on the topic. I'm still a CFI but have already resigned myself to no more instucting after I get a part 121 job (or even some 135s). Is there hope?
You are exactly right. Now that I am flying for the regionals I do not do any primary instruction, which means that the guy that I am flying with is PIC, I also do not log any of the time that I am giving instruction. And it is still a grey area, but it can be done, and I did clear it with the chief pilots office. I dont think that you would be able to do any 135 flying at all.

Thanks, there is hope. I think you hit the nail on head with the "still a grey area" comment though unfortunately. Talking to the chief pilot when I'm in a position to do so seems like the right idea. Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back