Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Basic house in California...500,000
A lot of the rest of the Country 200,000

100/hour there vs 45 elsewhere is about right...although I'd never pay that.

What's wrong with a fair wage? For the experience required, $120 is on the low side.

I charge $100/hr for my SEL instruction and I'm on the low side for my experience.

Yikes. My students get charged $49/hr for the "privilege" of having me in the plane, and I only see $15/hr of that. If other CFIs are getting $100/hr for the same job, I'm in the wrong racket. :D

$120 per hour? Are you kidding me?

$50-$60 per hour should cover it, and that is on the higher side of the average.

I have a friend who is a HS teacher. She charges $100/hour to give basic english/lit tutoring...as well as $100/hour to give basic computer skills tutoring to adults. Another friend gives tennis lessons for $90/hour. I have many more examples...but I think this guy could easily charge $100-$120/hour for his services since he has something that most people in his area and industry don't. Let the market determine the price.

-Neal

At the absolute bare minimum, I would say $75 but that would be me being very nice and charitable. Personally, for a job like that I'd do my best to negotiate at least $100. If the guy won't agree to $100, then just say "see ya" turn around and start walking. That usually prompts a change in attitude, especially since it sounds like you're the only one in the area that can do the job. Leverage is nice. :)

On the other hand, you could get the guy to pay you with a bottle of Louis XIII or something.

$120 per hour? Are you kidding me?

$50-$60 per hour should cover it, and that is on the higher side of the average.
Um, yeah, I think that you just said it all there. This is what is wrong with the flight instruction profession. 120 per hour was on the low side of what I think that he should get. And no I was not kidding, and no 50-60 dollars an hour should not cover it, not even close. 50-60 dollars an hour is less than what most people pay their personal trainers, and we are worth a lot more than that. Like I said, when I was doing free lance instruction I was charging 95 an hour for primary instruction, and I had more students then I knew what to do with, and I am still doing that part time, gives me a good second income(almost doubles what I make at the regional). I had one guy with a Columbia 400 get upset with me that I was only going to charge him 95 an hour and told me that he considered me a professonal and he expected to pay a professional fee and insisted on 150 an hour, and he flew with me for about 35 hours.
DONT BE SCARED TO CHARGE WHAT YOU ARE WORTH!

Hmm. It seems to me that you need to take your own advice. Whoring yourself out to a regional for nearly nothing while 'raising the bar' at your local airport.
Point taken. But at the regional I do not set the pay for myself, as a freelance instructor I could.

I wouldn't expose myself to anything like this for less than three figures an hour. Honestly I would approach this like a contract gig: Daily rate. Light jets that I'm typed in bring me $500/day plus expenses at least. For a cabin class piston twin I'd still be afer a couple hundred a day. Minimum. It's an insurance issue, and you're the man. If you look at the cost of an insurance checkout of a couple thousand dollars relative to the aquisition cost of the A/C you're talking about VERY small percentages. Don't be shy, get what you're worth. Anything less and you're not a professional, just a drain on the industry.

I wouldn't expose myself to anything like this for less than three figures an hour. Honestly I would approach this like a contract gig: Daily rate. Light jets that I'm typed in bring me $500/day plus expenses at least. For a cabin class piston twin I'd still be afer a couple hundred a day. Minimum. It's an insurance issue, and you're the man. If you look at the cost of an insurance checkout of a couple thousand dollars relative to the aquisition cost of the A/C you're talking about VERY small percentages. Don't be shy, get what you're worth. Anything less and you're not a professional, just a drain on the industry.
Yes, good point, think of it as a day rate. I had a client who bought a Malibu, and was looking for a pilot in it, usually about 3 times a month, paid me 400 a day regardless if it was an hour trip or an all day event.

These two make excellent points.

How about a plan like this: charge him a flat daily rate of a few hundred that will cover up to a certain number of hours in the day. beyond that certain number, an additional hourly rate of "overtime" of 100 or so per hour.

Latest resources

Back