• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MEI Add-on

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can add a few more to CD's list of things that happened to me only in a twin -

- student turning off the 'other' mag during a complete shutdown in flight - shut off wrong engine. A quick turn back fixed the problem however.

- student added power on Vmc recovery. In a 300 hp baron. Ooops.

- landed with gear warning going off - gear wasn't down and locked (mechanical issue). I had the student pull the mixtures as I pulled the throttles back for flare. Hopefully that won't ever happen again.

I guarded the props with my fingertips. I never believed in guarding the whole thing because that was a bit unrealistic, but I put my fingertips/nails over the feather part of the quadrant so if they pull the wrong prop back atleast it won't fx.

I also NEVER used the fuel shutoffs, even during a complete shutdown.

good luck
~wheelsup

i got a friend who has a baron that doing hie MEI as initial, ill let yaknow how it goes

When I was doing MEI work, during engine shut downs, I would have the student go from memory until they feathered the prop. After that, I made them get the checklist out (by doing this, it forced them to pause for just a second). Also, as they were feathering, shutting off mags, putting the mixture into ICO, etc. I would have them say "Left Engine, Left Prop" "Left Engine, Left Mag", etc. This also forces them to slow down just a little bit and by doing this, I never had a student do the wrong thing to the wrong control.

I gave some stage checks in the twins. Those were always interesting experiences. I did have some students try to pull the wrong lever or turn off the wrong mag. After we talked about taking their time, I usually went to have a little chat with their instructor as well.

All of that being said, teaching multi-engine was some of the most fun I had instructing. Giving multi-engine stage checks was some of the most sadistic fun I had too. :)

Latest resources

Back