Medicals and the FAA??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

numbnuts

While bs'ing with a number of pilot friends at a bar last week, we wandered onto the topic of medicals (1st class, 2nd class, and such). One of the pilots mentioned how he had allergies and did not report them to his AME. He got his medical no problem. He just didn't want the hassle of dealing with the Feds in OKC.

Another said something about having been diagnosed with a neurological disorder as a kid that he ourgrew. He also checked "no" about it on his application, and still does. They both said it was a lot more common than I might think.

My advise to them was, of course, to shut their pie holes and quit talking about before someone turns them in.

Is it true that it is fairly common to falsify a medical application??? I thought the FAA checked your background history!?!?

Surprised and Wondering . .

It's one thing to discuss something with the AME. It's another to put down in written form something that is false.

Those forms for the medicals can come back to haunt someone if there is ever an investigation, incident or something worse. Read the fine print next time you get a medical.

I know of a guy who lied about his medical history and a current prescription drug he was using. He was caught and the feds prosecuted him for falsifying a government document (or some other legal mumbo jumbo) and forgery.

End result: Fired from the airline, ATP revoked and a criminal history to boot.

The irony of the story was had he gone through the proper channels he would of eventually been given a waiver and an FAA approved alternate prescription.

Medicals

People do leave off things on their medical apps. Notwithstanding the fact they are perjuring themselves, they may be kidding themselves about being safe to fly.

FAA physicals are really very minimal. Your own doctor will be more thorough. I'm definitely not trumpeting the FAA's "helpful" attitude, but there are many health conditions one can have and still qualify for a medical. You have to and should disclose them. In many cases, an AME will issue a medical on the spot if you just provide a report from your treating physician about the condition in question. Or else, OKC will issue your medical. I had a health problem that dictated this procedure. It takes longer, although this organization, http://www.leftseat.com/, claims it can cut the red tape.

It also helps to go to an AME who is fair and has a reputation for liking and helping pilots. Take it from someone who knows. I was getting ready to take the ATP written and needed to update my First. I already had a SODA for vision. I went to this AME in Prescott who is also an ophthamalogist. Although I already had a SODA, he said he detected a problem with my vision and made it sound to me that he would deny me altogether. This a--hole finally issued my medical. He made a big deal of having to call the L.A. Regional Flight Surgeon to do so. I ended up taking a different waiver. I never went back to that man. I started seeing an internist and cardiologist in Phoenix, eighty miles away, for my medicals.

I fixed the problem, however. I went to an optometrist who is a pilot. He examined me and filled out the Report of Eye Examination form. I sent in the form to OKC and got my SODA changed back. I don't use opthalmalogists anymore for vision.

http://www.aopa.org/members/resources/medical.html is a great AOPA web site on medicals.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
BobbySamd,

Opthamologist in PRC, huh? You must be referring to Rummell Eye Care. I also went there for a few medicals and the last time I went there my blood pressure was a little elevated, as it usually is with me at the doctor's office (white coat syndrome). The doctor "put me at ease" by saying "Just try to relax, 'cause if you don't I can't issue you your medical!". That is supposed to make me relax? Yikes! It turned out okay, but from now on I'm going to a "professional AME". If this is not the place you are referring to, then there's more than one non-pilot friendly opthamologist in Prescott!

SuperD

Latest resources

Back