Medical Requirement Debate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
volunteer said:
They say that an ATP is required to be PIC of ANY turbine powered A/C. Then, of course, the Private Pilot doctor with his L-39 is brought to the floor. Then the 1000 yard stare comes on their face. Then it is ANY PIC turbine pilot that is being paid to fly. Then comes the "show me" part of it. The response is "I know it is in there, I don't have time to find it." That is the Cliff Notes version.

Ahhh, I see. That's not so much a debate as it is somone refusing to admit that they're wrong despite all evidence to the contrary.

Persoanlly, my response to "I know it is in there, I don't have time to find it." would be: "If you're so sure it's in there, let's wager, I've got $200 that says you can't find it in there. "

A Squared said:
Persoanlly, my response to "I know it is in there, I don't have time to find it." would be: "If you're so sure it's in there, let's wager, I've got $200 that says you can't find it in there. "

But then I would have to take his car when he lost. I am not prepared to do that yet. His kids have to get to Yoga class.

volunteer said:
But then I would have to take his car when he lost. I am not prepared to do that yet.

So really, you're just killin' time on the internet, aren't you?
(not that there's anything wrong with that)

nosehair said:

So really, you're just killin' time on the internet, aren't you?
(not that there's anything wrong with that)

Well, yes. I am killing time on the internet. However, it will be good to point at this and have a few other opinions other than my own to throw into the mix.

Then take his car.

sounds better than mine, it's value depends on how much gas I have in the tank :D ( but the rear window heater works)

Those people probably haven't picked up a Far/Aim in many years. Does the answer change if Insurance requires the pilot to have an ATP?

KigAir said:
Does the answer change if Insurance requires the pilot to have an ATP?

No. I suppose the insurance could require a first class medical, but it still wouldn't change the regulatory issue. (CPL and and class medical required)

For fun, I will make the argument that not only is a first class not required, but a second class is not required either. A third class will do just fine.

See 61.113(b)(1) and (2). Assuming that my employer is not in the aviation business and is merely using his aircraft for transportation, and is paying me a salary, the flight is incidental to my employment and business. After all, I'm not being paid for that specific flight.

Latest resources

Back