Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gavin

Hey Everyone,

I was recently talking to one of my friends and he was saying that there was a question on the medical application about prior misdemeanor offenses. I got a public disorderly conduct (lil bit intoxicated) ticket a few years ago. I got my medical certificate about 6 months ago, but I never mentioned anything about the misdemeanor because I thought it only asked about felony convictions.

Is there a box on the application that asks if you have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor? If so, should I just wait until I renew my certificate to tell them I had a misdemeanor charge. Or should I let someone (FAA? Medical Examiner?) know now.

If you were wondering, I'm currently a student pilot.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Howdy Gavin,

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame_guide/media/faa_form_8500_8.pdf

Take a look at box 18w, if you click on it it will bring up more explanation.

Apparently does include misdemeanor, but isn't the end of an aviation career by a long stretch. Lots of young folks get into this, learn, move on.

Definitely want to be honest on it, in todays' wonderful computer age a lot of stuff gets into electronic (searchable) form. Your Medical Examiner will not look for it, but a future employer may look for misdemeanor, if you were convicted it may come up. It's much tougher backpeddaling one's way out of a tough spot than being up front and saying, hey I was young, and learned from it.

Talk to your doc.

Best of luck,

Question 18w: "History of nontraffic conviction(s) (misdemeanors or felonies)."

The instructions have this to say about question 18w: "Letter (w) of this subheading asks if you have ever had any other (nontraffic) convictions (e.g., assault, battery, public intoxication, robbery, etc.). If so, name the charge for which you were convicted and the date of conviction in the EXPLANATIONS box."

There is a notice on the medical application that says "-NOTICE- Whoever in the matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States knowingly and willfuly faslifies, conceals or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact, or who makes any false, fictitious or fraudulent statements or representations, or entry, may be fined up to $250,000 or imprisioned not more than 5 years, or both. (18 U.S. Code Secs. 1001; 3571)"

If you are a member of AOPA legal services, I'd call them and ask them what to do. I think you should talk to an attorney. I WOULD NOT wait until your next medical to correct this.

On the plus side, having a misdomenor shouldn't be a problem. You just need to go through the proper channels to make sure you fill out the app correctly. If you are a member of AOPA they have the "TurboMedical" on their website which has an interactive medical app to help you fill it out correctly.

I concur with Viper, would not wait on it. Talking to legal is a good idea, to cover your six.

On the other hand, it's an honest error. Heck, make a hard copy of this thread, say "see, - that's me!" It's evidence that you didn't think you did anything wrong or were trying to be devious on the initial medical form, and went through a subsequent reasoning process to correct the record.

That application is rather difficult to fill out and I would suspect that this kind of mistake happens all the time with people filling out their first medical app.

Next time you go to get a medical, get the one from the previous year and use that to help you fill out the new one.

Latest resources

Back