• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AdlerDriver

Can't even hold reserve!
Hello any medical experts,
I have a Class 1 medical and have just found out I have gallstones and need my gall bladder removed. It's done ?laproscopically? (if that's how you spell it) and I'll be in/out in 1 day with 3-4 days of recovery after that. Legally, am I supposed to notifiy my AME about this surgery before/after, not at all? Or do I just do it and wait until my next class 1 is due and answer yes to the question about recent visits to doctors and fill in the details there? I've flown with some guys who wouldn't even do that ("it's none of their business unless I can't pass the medical"). I haven't had any medical issues to deal with up to this point so my experience in this area is limited. Just trying to get an idea of what I'm supposed to do and what other's would really do given these circumstances.
Thanks

Sec. 61.53

Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency.

(a) Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, a person who holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person:
(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation; or
(2) Is taking medication or receiving other treatment for a medical condition that results in the person being unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation...

There is no requirement to notify an AME. However, you may not act as PIC if you would not be able to meet the requirements of your first class medical. I would say that if you aren't being medicated and you are back up to 100%then you are good to go.

You would be required to report the surgery at the next medical exam. The people that are telling you that you shouldn't tell the examiner are idiots. How is the examiner not going to know you had surgery. The scars from your surgery is going to be a dead giveaway. Besides, they won't yank your medical because you had some gaul stones removed. They will yank your medical and every license you have if they find out you made a deliberately false statement on your medical application. The part that asks you to list all the doctors you've visited in the last several years will get you...and if that doesn't, item x checkbox asks if you've had surgery. You'll be hard pressed to convince the FAA why you "forgot" to mention the surgery to the doc.

Get well soon.

Last edited:
First Class issuance v. gall bladder removal

Medical certificate issuance standards are set forth at 14 CFR 67. Unless you have vision deficiencies, a mental health history, a neurologic history, a cardiovascular history, or your general medical condition would preclude you from flying, you are entitled to your medical. In any event, you still need to report the surgery to your AME per the medical certificate app.

It would be hard to imagine that having your gallbladder yanked would preclude you from receiving your medical.

Good luck with your surgery.

Thanks for the opinions - I don't plan on falsifying my next med app. I was mostly wondering about having to notify the AME who issued my current medical. Thanks again.

When your next medical comes around be prepared to answer some detailed questions about the nature of the surgery, post-surgery issues, what prompted the surgery, etc. I had surgery several years ago and brought a letter from the surgeon to my AME that gave a detailed account of everything that went on and never heard another peep from the FAA about it - which is a good thing!!

Take all the drugs they give you.

I had my gall bladder taken out. Unfortuneately, they tried to take it out laproscopicoly, but it was so bad they had to do the traditional way. Was in the hospitlal for 4 days. This was before my medical time, but I did declare it on the medical form. It will ask for "Gastrointestinal Disease". Just check yes, I had no problems. hope this helps : )

If your an ALPA member contact the Airomedical division of ALPA they do great work and can give solid advice.
I recently had surgery my 1st class was not invalidated I did see my AME just to let him know.

call Apla if you can
Jobear

Latest resources

Back