• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Medical Problems????

Grumman guy

Type and Altitude unknown
Total Time
3 g's
Anyone ever have any blood presure problems during their physical, if so are their any tricks for lowering it for the exam, any do's and donts.

thanks-

five-alive

Total Time
what
Stay away from caffine and sugary foods or any other stimulant beforehand

I struggle with "whitecoat" hypertension and usually hover near the limit during exam. Whatever makes you relax (breathing, visualization)
do it

anyone know where you can buy valium online:)?

Vector4fun

Total Time
Just some things I've found that help me. I'm no Doc, nor play one on TV.

Wear loose clothing.

Eat right for a week or two prior. No all-you-can brisket buffets...

If you get the opportunity to rest your arm on an elevated surface, do so.

As they pump up the cuff, take a deep breath, and let it out completely like a big sigh.

My Doc says the last one works even when a nurse is bagging a comatose patient. I dunno, but helps me.

mar

Remember this one?
Total Time
Let's narrow it down a little.

Are we just talking about "white coat syndrome"? Or chronic high blood pressure.

In my metroliner days I was a check airman, giving IOE, teaching groundschool, working with management pilots and flying the line on my days off. My blood pressure was high borderline.

Then I switched jobs, flew less, worked out more and my blood pressure is much better.

I've never experienced "white coat syndrome" but I generally agree you can do things the night before and the morning of an exam.

Don't drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes the night before.
I think one cup of coffee is ok in the morning.
Try to schedule the appt. in the morning.
Your BP will rise later in the day.

When my blood pressure was borderline the Doc would have me lie down with my shoes off in a dark room just to relax before taking my BP. But what really helped was a change in my lifestyle.

Good luck.