Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Aplus9

Long Enough Member
Anyone have recommendations for a Comprehensive Medical plan? I (with family) am going into the reserves part-time, and waiting to get a training date w/ SWA. It will take about a year to get on with SWA, so "gap" coverage isn't an option. I would appreciate any recommendations or ideas. Thanks.

Aplus9

insurance

I talked with both USAA and BlueCross BlueShield and they had reasonable rates - compared to Cobra. For a family of 4 it was like $320/mo.

Slug

Thanks Slug.

Driver,
I am in Mississippi right now, but will be leaving next year some time (Cali or Texas). I realize that will change things, but just want to know who you might be using or who you know who offers a good plan for the money.

Thanks again.

Aplus

Whatever you do, do NOT go with a subsidiary of USAA called FORTIS. They are short term (6 months) renewable once. It sounds great until you need them, and then they deny all big EOBs until you appeal. Then they pay up. It happened twice to us, we had red requests for payment everywhere. Very stressful. Oh, and their customer help line is terrible.

A few years ago, I bought a Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy for my family of four. In New Jersey, it was the cheapest plan available (cheaper than USAA, other civilian companies, and especially the CHAMPUS continuation plan).

Of course, with this plan, I had a very high deductible. The only truly good part of the plan was that my kids' well-visits (check-ups) were covered 100% -- no deductible.

Happy shopping.

You can get a TRICARE extension for up to 18 months, but it costs big dollar..... About $993 every three months for just you, or $1995 every three months for a whole family. Pretty steep, but better than paying for hospital bills if something should happen to a family member.

I got mine from www.ehealthinsurance.com. You put in information on where you live and what type of insurance you want, and they give you a list of a lot companies that will give you insurance. The company I had was legit, I had a high deductible, and it was a fairly local area, but you can choose among lots of companies and policies. Mine wasn't great, but it was inexpensive. It was a good choice for a short-term fix.

God bless the web!

Thanks everyone. I found that same web site you mentioned flyer. I think I will go with one of those companies. My father-in-law is in the insurance business, he has not heard anything negative about those companies listed on that web site. It appears the companies are reputable and the rates are pretty good. Lots of choices. Good luck to all.

Aplus

Keep making yourself eligible for Tricare through your reserve job.

If you are in the reserves and you can get on orders for >30 days you and your family are covered by tricare, also look at this link:

http://www.defenselink.mil/ra/mobil/pdf/medical.pdf

If you can get yourself on orders to active duty for more than 30 days in support of a contingency operation you are eligible for transition assistance, tricare for upto 120 days (if you have over 6 years active service) after your orders end. I think there are plenty of contingency operations to get involved in. A couple of strategic 30 day orders might be able to carry you through and save you the cash.

Finster

Latest resources

Back