• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical Exam Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't get down! I also have asthma, one of my CFIs has asthma, and a bunch of other pilots I know. They all have a 1st class medical without restriction. I have a 1st class w/o restrictions myself.

I had somewhat a similar experience than you in my home military I developed asthma through a sinus infection. I did not get discharged for it but I had to start using medication, which I am not really using anymore. My asthma is light but even serious cases can get a first class medical if the asthma is in control. But it is a case by case evaluation.

Anyways long story short for my 1st medical ever I had to do an additional pulmonary examination for some $600. Lovely for blowing into a pipe (thinking what you can get for $600 is someone else is working on your pipe).

Basically before I got my medical I had to get a 2nd opinion from a pulmonary doctor, then do a breathing test (that was $600) which was a joke and I blew away the thing because I used to be an amateur bicycler, then the pulmonary doc wrote a recommendation to my FAA designated doc then the FAA designated doc sent the whole package to the FAA. It took like 3 months but I got my 1st class and I just renewed it and I did not have to go through the ordeal again. I got a regular examination and they only asked me “how is my asthma doing”. I said I don’t use medicine only occasionally. That was it. As long you are not getting worse you probably won't need to do another pulmonary tests. However it is our responsibility to let the FAA know if our condition deteriorates.

BTW I would also go and try to find an easy going FAA doc. Ask a few older guys at an airport and they will tell you the “best” doc in the area.

I don’t get it why your doctor plain simply rejected you. The only red flag that stands out in your story is the “passing out” part. Regulation says that you should not have any unexplained loss of consciousness or something like that. As long your asthma is as you described it, that should not be a problem however you definitely should come up with a good explanation with that passing out. Not only for the FAA but for yourself as well. You don’t want to pass out in a plane and miss out on the scenery etc…

Good luck!

I don’t get it why your doctor plain simply rejected you. The only red flag that stands out in your story is the “passing out” part. Regulation says that you should not have any unexplained loss of consciousness or something like that. As long your asthma is as you described it, that should not be a problem however you definitely should come up with a good explanation with that passing out. Not only for the FAA but for yourself as well. You don’t want to pass out in a plane and miss out on the scenery etc....

Pretty much the day I passed out in church I had had like the worst day of my life. I was informed that apparently I had missed out on some stupid training that I had to do so I was going to be put in a special devision (I missed it because I had broken my food) I had like 6 teeth filled and I got a demerit chit (think bad note home from your teacher if youve never gone through Navy basic training) from an 0-6 for fraternization (i spoke to a male while in dental) so i went back to my division and got my little butt kicked so hardcore the rest of my division even felt sick from watching. Then they sent me to chow where i really didnt feel like eating. Oh yea did i mention I had whooping cough too?? Yea I had a blast that day. I chalk passing out up to just having a terrible terrible day.

Well, as you can tell I talk to much and im starting to do that again. I should probably go back to the radio (im at work)

Asthma

GateGirl said:
Before the lovely doctor even sees me he goes your disqualified. I almost dropped dead right there. He said asthma was disqualifying.
That's a bunch of hooey! I have asthma. I have not had an attack in years. I first held a Second Class Medical which I later upgraded to a First. When my medical first was issued twenty-one years ago I had to provide a letter from my PCP. Then, for the next five years, the FAA required a letter every year. My medical was issued every time. Then, after the five years, I no longer had to provide the letter. Oklahoma City had to issue my first medical. I understand that the FAA has become very easygoing regarding medical issuances during the last ten years.

At least for the moment, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place because your AME is a moron. Get your meds from the Navy or wherever and send them to the FAA. Then, next time, go to a different AME.
Excuse me I think I have a prop to run into . . . .
Don't do it! You will get your medical. Another place where you can turn for advice is www.leftseat.com. It is an excellent aviation medical website. It offers services which cut the red tape in Oklahoma City.

Hope that helps a little more. Good luck at Riddle. Which Riddle, by the way, Prescott or Daytona? I instructed at Prescott several years ago.

Last edited:
Hope that helps a little more. Good luck at Riddle. Which Riddle, by the way, Prescott or Daytona? I instructed at Prescott several years ago.

Im headed off to Prescott...

Glad to see your spirts are up and that your on your way. Now lets see you you can manage to come out of Riddle with out the chip on your shoulder that eveyone else does. Keep this in mind for the rest of your days and it will be a big help.....There's always some one better and some one who know's more. I belive we are all students till the day we retire. In other words don't get cocky (or at least try not to).

OH! One other thing learn proper radio calls. I fly over prescott every day and those guys suck on the radio...lol.

:D

I promise I wont get to cocky. Of course then I could probably loose the darn nickname bubbles (its been haunting me for a while now.) As for the radio calls I'll do my best and try not to giggle to much over the radio. (I'm an ops agent and the pilots all call me bubbles because im usually pretty bubbly. and they have been teasing me non-stop that if they are ever in AZ they will listen for me giggling over the radio)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back