Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical certificate and droping the pants....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure I got a finger or two up there. But I didnt have to bend over. I was just standing straight up & forward while the AME respectfully put his finger in place and commanded a cough.
The AME was careful to explain the reason and make me feel okay about it. (First time).

For some reason I see this thread going down hill with time. I have dropped the pants everytime, however I have never had a doc put anything "up there." I did, however, have a doc ask if I would like it checked once. I said no. I agree with what the previous poster said about paying your family doc good money to tell you if your really healthy. Treat the AMEs just like you would a FAA inspector, and you will be just fine. They are "here to help" in exactly the same way.

you guys have it all wrong. Let your GP do the finger and drop pants thing and get the hell out of the AME's office in less than 10 minutes with $100 less in your pocket and your job intact. I want my AME to be the last one to EVER find anything.

Funny stuff. I had an AME ask me to drop my pants and then look for what seemed to me to be an uncomfotable amount of time...that was the last time I used him. The next AME didn't even have me take my shoes off.

Gear Goes Down...your not located in CO by any chance?

They have always made me turn my head and cough...but never stuck anything up my butt.

gear goes down said:
Ok, so I went to get my medical certificate renewed the other day. I went to a new doctor, because I just recently moved to this area. Everything was the usual, until he told me to drop my pants and shorts. I was kind of stunned as asked him to repeat what he just said and I herd correctly. So I drop my pants and the Dr wants me to take off my underwear. So I did. Next he tells my to lay down on the table with my legs dangling off of the end…..He’s the doc, so I did. After that he starts rubbing my testacies for little while…..He told me he was checking for tumors. Then does the coughing thing.

Anyways my question is, has anyone ever had that done to them? I have never had to drop my paints for a medical certificate. It all sounds kind of strange.

(disclaimer - I am not an AME. I am a physician and a pilot)

This sounds a little strange the way you describe it. However a complete genitourinary exam should include palpating the testicles for tumor (should only take a second as testicular tumors are not subtle) and the "turn-your-head-and-cough" check for hernia and possibly a rectal exam.

Testicular cancer is a disease common in the relatively young and is easily diagnosed by testicular exam. It is also easily treated with a very high cure rate. It is very possible your physician was just being thorough for these reasons.

I don't believe that these exams are required for FAA medical certificates. But if you went for a thorough physical, and wanted to get your medical in addition to having a thorough regular physicial, then I would expect this to be a part of your exam. I agree with the thought of a prostate check starting in the mid-40's (rectal exam and PSA blood test). I also agree that your AME should usually not be your personal physician becasue of a potential conflict of interest between their duty to you as a patient vs. their duty to the FAA.

If you seriously think something inappropriate was done during your exam, PM me and I'll advise you how to proceed.

gsrcrsx68 said:
Funny stuff. I had an AME ask me to drop my pants and then look for what seemed to me to be an uncomfotable amount of time...that was the last time I used him. The next AME didn't even have me take my shoes off.

Gear Goes Down...your not located in CO by any chance?

Nope, not in CO.

Well, i guess a lot of you had your pants dropped. I have only had 4 medicals before and never before had to do that, just thought it was strange... I just went to this guy because he was 150% cheaper than the others in the area.

gear goes down said:
So I drop my pants and the Dr wants me to take off my underwear. So I did. Next he tells my to lay down on the table with my legs dangling off of the end…..He’s the doc, so I did. After that he starts rubbing my testacies for little while…..

did he PAY YOU?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back