• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jrav8tor

Moonlighting!
2 questions:

1) For requirements- 14 CFR 61.23 (a)(3)(iv) states for operations of a flight instructor certificate, one needs at least a 3rd class medical cert. My question is-

If being paid as a flight instructor, does one need to have a current 2nd class medical since the instructor is being paid?

My thoughts are, since being paid you need to be a Commercial pilot, therefore being paid to flight instruct you are using both the flight instructor and comm. certificate.

Am I reading this correctly?

2) 14 CFR 61.23 (c)(1) A first-class medical cert. expires at the end of the last day of-
(ii) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the cert. for operations requiring a commercial pilot cert.....

I read this as saying technically when using my commercial license for anything such as charters, etc., my first class medical actually lasts for 12 calendar months. Since 2nd class priveleges only last 12 calendar months per 14 CFR 61.23 (c)(2), that my first class medical after 12 calendar months (using scenario above) will go straight to 3rd class priveleges?

Am I reading this correctly?

Sorry for the length. Thanks in advance for any clarification!!

A third class medical is all that is required to instruct. Under some situations no medical is required. You can get paid under all circumstances, you are not getting paid as a pilot but as an instructor.

A second class medical is valid for commercial privilges for 12 months, and after that point you can only excersize privileges of a 3rd class medical.

Buzo,

That's what I originally thought as well. A Desig. Examiner told me a flight instructor needs a 2nd class med. if getting paid.

"you are not getting paid as a pilot but as an instructor." Good point on that, never thought of it this way.

Thanks.

No medical certificate is required in order to instruct. A medical certificate is only required when acting as pilot in command, and an instructor is not automatically pilot in command.

If a flight instructor is giving primary flight instruction, or instructing someone not qualified to act as pilot in command, then he or she must be the designated PIC, and must hold a medical certificate.

A flight instructor is not being paid for pilot services, a flight instructor is being paid for instructing services. A flight instructor certificate is NOT a pilot certificate, and no medical certification is necessary to exercise the privileges of a flight instructor certificate. The only question remains, then as to weather one is exercising the privileges of a pilot certificate on any given flight. If one is actually using one's pilot certificate (frequently no the case when instructing), one then requires a medical appropriate to the type of pilot operation involved.

See 14 CFR 61.3(c)(2)(iv):

§ 61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

(c) Medical certificate.

(2) A person is not required to meet the requirements of paragraph (c)(1) of this section if that person -

(iv) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2)(iii) of this section, is exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate, provided the person is not acting as pilot in command or as a required pilot flight crewmember.

As for normal operations as a flight instructor when acting as PIC, as one is being paid as an instructor and not a pilot, one need only hold a third class medical certificate. You will find the reference for this in 61.23(a)(3)(iv), as follows:

§ 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.

(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, a person:

(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate -

(iv) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate, except for a flight instructor certificate with a glider category rating, if the person is acting as the pilot in command or is serving as a required pilot flight crewmember.

A common misconception is that over time, the class of medical certificate changes. That is, some mistakenly believe that after six months, a first class medical certificate becomes a second class. This is not so. One can only exercise the privileges of a second class medical certificate after six months, but the class of the medical certificate, printed on that certificate, remains the same. It doesn't change.

The duration of the medical certificate and the privileges accorded it, are clearly spelled out in 61.23.

A flight instructor is not being paid for pilot services, a flight instructor is being paid for instructing services. A flight instructor certificate is NOT a pilot certificate, and no medical certification is necessary to exercise the privileges of a flight instructor certificate.

Avbug,

Thanks for taking the time to clear this up for me. I originally understood to flight instruct, one only needs to have 3rd class privileges (with certain exceptions that one doesn't need a medical). DE just threw me for a loop when he mentioned needing a 2nd class.

Regarding your quote above, I never really thought of it being instructing services. Everyday I learn something new, that's the best thing about flying!

Thanks again!

Latest resources

Back