Medical and ATP privaledges

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C90Guy

I have heard a few different things and cant remember the truth. You have to have a first class medical to exercise your ATP privaledges. After 6 months the medacal goes to 2nd class. At that time can you only exercise commercial privaledges or can you still have ATP privaledges? Also were can I find this in the FAR's.
Thanks.

You cannot exercise your ATP privileges if your 1st class has expired. See 61.23.

I can't quote you the FAR reference right now, as I'm sitting in OAK without my books. However, a first class medical does not revert to a second class medical after six months. It is only good for second class privileges, but it remains a first class medical for it's entire duration. The class never changes. After a year, it's only good for third class privileges, but still remains a first class medical certificate.

An ATP may not exercise the privileges of his or her certificate without possesing a first class medical certificate which is current. After 6 months, the holder of that certificate may continue to exercise commercial privileges, but may not perform duties for which an ATP certificate is required.

ATP

Your ATP is required in all Part 121 operations or Part 135 turbo jet that has 10 or more seats or Part 135 scheduled multi-engine pasenger operations commuter operations, like the grandfathered BE-99's and DHC-6's defined in Part 119. If you fly anywhere else with your ATP, you are a commercial instrument rated pilot according to the regulations. Many companies such as ours require an ATP to fly airplanes that are not in part 121 service, like our DA-20's which are in the cargo business, but that is an insurance requirement and not regulatory.

Here are the references I got right off the FAA website.

§ 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.

(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, a person:

(1) Must hold a first-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of an airline transport pilot certificate;

(2) Must hold at least a second-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate

c) Duration of a medical certificate. (1) A first-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of --

(i) The sixth month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring an airline transport pilot certificate;

(ii) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and

§ 61.167 Privileges.

(a) A person who holds an airline transport pilot certificate is entitled to the same privileges as those afforded a person who holds a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating

§ 121.437 Pilot qualification: Certificates required.

(a) No pilot may act as pilot in command of an aircraft (or as second in command of an aircraft in a flag or supplemental operation that requires three or more pilots) unless he holds an airline transport pilot certificate and an appropriate type rating for that aircraft.

(b) No certificate holder may use nor may any pilot act as a pilot in a capacity other than those specified in paragraph (a) of this section unless the pilot holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings for the aircraft concerned, and an instrument rating.

So basically here is the deal..If you have an ATP with the appropriate current first class medical, you can exercise your ATP privileges i.e. PIC of a 121 carrier. If you go six months you can only exercise your commercial privileges, i.e. you can still fly 121 you just can't be the PIC. After 12 months you're done, get a new medical or sit...

Latest resources

Back