Mediation Statement against FLOPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Muddauber said:
The last time I talked to Joe Murphy, he told me they were now on 7 and 7 because that's what his guys wanted to do.

The reason NJI went to 7/7 is because it is more economical to reduce travel cycles. "His guys" have no say in the matter. They're at the mercy of a pen stroke. RTS is a mathematician he knows it is a more economical schedule. That's why they have the 7/7. They would like us to believe they are bending over backwards to "allow" us this schedule. When the truth is, it's less costly.

Just curious, how does flying for SWA equate to more time with your family? Aren't you now working 17 days+ a month, and more if you commute? I have several friends there. They all say they work their tails off. 90+ flt. hours a month sometimes over 100.

On the 7/7 schedule with 3 weeks vacation you would average less than 13 days a month.

Last edited:
Although I am not part of the frac or airline industry this quote truly amazed me.

I worked for NJI before I came to work for Southwest. I liked it. I left because I have a young family and wanted to spend more time with them. It amuses me watching you guys try to screw yourselves. Ever wonder why NetJet's Gulfstream pilots don't want a union?

It almost sounded like: "I got mine, so F#*k You."

If was not for those "worthless" unions at UAL and like, SWA would not pay the wages it does. The only real difference is the great leadership at SWA.

Next time you come home to your family remember that it was the worthless unions that kept you from spending your "days off" in Jackson, MS or Baltimore.

flyfish said:
Muddauber said:
The last time I talked to Joe Murphy, he told me they were now on 7 and 7 because that's what his guys wanted to do.

The reason NJI went to 7/7 is because it is more economical to reduce travel cycles. "His guys" have no say in the matter. They're at the mercy of a pen stroke. RTS is a mathematician he knows it is a more economical schedule. That's why they have the 7/7. They would like us to believe they are bending over backwards to "allow" us this schedule. When the truth is, it's less costly.

I am told that EJI had to hire pilots to accomodate the 7/7 schedule, but to the leadership it was a quality of life issue. The thing I liked best about working there, other than the great equipment, was the way they valued the pilots. We were organized into cells and the cell leader communicated his guys concerns or ideas up the chain of command so even the most junior guy had a voice. There were intangibles as well, that were hard to put a value on like the annual Christmas party at the South Carolina Yacht Club, the golfing, occasionally seeing the King Air used to get a line pilot home on time, then seeing the King Air pilots promoted into the Gulfstream.

A friend of mine left about the same time I did because he had an autistic kid and Delta's health benefits were better than EJI's. You do what you have to do.

Just curious, how does flying for SWA equate to more time with your family? Aren't you now working 17 days+ a month, and more if you commute? I have several friends there. They all say they work their tails off. 90+ flt. hours a month sometimes over 100.

On the 7/7 schedule with 3 weeks vacation you would average less than 13 days a month.

I was working 6 and 5 when I was at EJI. Now, I live in Dallas, average 68.6 hours a month and am paid for 95 segments. 17 to 18 days a month is about right. It's a good company with good leadership and a good business model. My only concern right now is that the TWU is going to make trouble and adversely effect our profitability and ridership.

Muddy

I think what he means are overnights. He may "work" more days, but the shorter trip cycle gives him more nights at home. I love the 7/7 schedule, but I have seen it put a lot of stress on families. Not all families are able to deal with so many nights gone in a row. When you break it down to only being gone 2 or 3 nights it can ease the strain quite a bit. It's all about doing what's best for your family. For some the 7/7 works fine for others it's too much.

7/7 is only one more day that 6/5. What is the big deal with one more day gone and two more days home?

Griz said:
Over the course of a year -

6/5 199 days working/away 166 days off

7/7 182.5 days working/away 182.5 days off

16.5 days per year more time off...

That's the big deal...

That's what I am meant more time off with the 7/7. Somebody said that people were having trouble with teh 7/7. I don't see the trouble.

gunfyter said:
Still I am missing a lot of little league baseball with all these nights away from home.

I think that's just part of being in aviation though. Unfortunately we miss a lot of that kind of stuff.

Latest resources

Back