Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mechanical Malfunction Impacts Controllers in Logan International Runway Incursion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
From NewCenter 5 in Boston...

BOSTON -- After a series of close calls, state and federal aviation officials say they are moving to try make the runways at Logan International Airport safer.

NewsCenter 5's Gail Huff reported that the most recent incident happened Monday when a FedEx cargo plane was allowed to taxi across a runway that a passenger jet was about to use for takeoff. A mechanic was at the controls of the FedEx plane, which was being taken to a hangar, an FAA spokesman said. Although there was no collision, the mechanic apparently ignored instructions by air traffic controllers to stop. A Jet Blue commercial flight headed to Florida with 124 passengers aboard, which had been cleared for takeoff on the same runway, was told to stop.

In the past 10 months, 14 near misses have been reported at Logan by the Federal Aviation Administration. The airport has had twice the number of incidents as similar-sized airporrts, according to the FAA. On June 9, two planes came within 170 feet of colliding at the end of intersecting runways. An Aer Lingus flight was cleared for takeoff, as was a US Airways plane, which was cleared for takeoff at the same time on an intersecting runway. The two planes came within seconds of colliding.

"This was actually in the serious category. The FAA actually rates the severity of ground incursions or problems at an airport and this would probably be in the high category," said MIT aviation expert John Hansman.

As a result, two air traffic controllers were suspended and sent for retraining, but the president of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, Boston Tower Local, said Logan is very unique and difficult. There are five runways and they all intersect and there is soon to be a sixth intersecting runway.

Massport, the FAA and airline officials have promised to work on a new runway safety plan to combat the increase in safety incidents.

What was the "mechanical malfunction"?

...that a "mechanic" was driving?

Logan can be wicked haad to get around!

Occam's Razor said:
What was the "mechanical malfunction"?

...that a "mechanic" was driving?
When we break down, the machine breaks down and when the machine breaks down, people die.

No, I'm not blaming the mechanic...looks like they took it out on the controllers right away, from reading the article. Just glad no one got hurt and no sheet metal got dented.

Occam's Razor said:
Logan can be wicked haad to get around!
I can imagine...just like they said in the article and they say they are going to add another runway!

Do mechanic's have to get any type of rating to be able to taxi? Or is that included in their A&P ticket?

KigAir said:
Do mechanic's have to get any type of rating to be able to taxi? Or is that included in their A&P ticket?
good question. I see them taxing at MKE all the time...mostly Midwest Airlines guys

FN FAL said:
good question. I see them taxing at MKE all the time...mostly Midwest Airlines guys

Well, if they're the ones maintaining the airplane, I'd like to think they at least know enough about it to taxi it safely...

KigAir said:
A friend of mine is an A&P w/Continental. CAL mechs have to go through several days of training and a 'checkride' before they are allowed to taxi. I'm sure it is similar at FedEx.

Glad nobody was hurt. Hope nobody gets in trouble and they can fix it operationaly. Logan's a bitch.

FN FAL wrote: "When we break down, the machine breaks down and when the machine breaks down, people die."

A bit of a stretch though, huh?

You titled the thread: Mechanical Malfunction Impacts Controllers in Logan International Runway Incursion

What exactly was the "mechanical malfunction"?

I fly in/out of BOS a bit, and I'm interested in any mechanical problem they may be having out there.

Airports with intersecting runways always get my attention, since there's a much greater chance of even a minor human boo boo turning into a large, festive, fireball...with me as a "guest marshmellow".

"No, I'm not blaming the mechanic...looks like they took it out on the controllers right away, from reading the article."

Maybe the tower tapes indicated a clear mistake? The controller that landed the AAA B737 on top of the turboprop at LAX several years ago clearly made the mistake.

"Just glad no one got hurt and no sheet metal got dented."

You and me both, brother!

Let's be careful out there people!

Numb-Nutted Reporter said:
...the most recent incident happened Monday when a FedEx cargo plane was allowed to taxi across a runway...A mechanic was at the controls of the FedEx plane...

Numb-Nutted Reporter said:
the mechanic apparently ignored instructions by air traffic controllers to stop.

What did the reporter expect, a crossing guard to jump out in front of FedEx with a stop sign on a stick and not allow him to cross the runway?

Apparantly, since a big deal is being made about it, he was not ALLWED to do anything, but he did it anyway. Back to journalism school with you, numbnuts.

Latest resources

Back