Mechanic sucked into engine

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Erlanger

A mechanic was sucked into an engine in El Paso just a bit ago.
He was sucked into a Continental 737 engine.

Last edited:
Airline mechanic killed at El Paso International Airport

Times staff reports
Monday, January 16, 2006

An airline mechanic at the El Paso International Airport was sucked into an airplane's jet engine and killed Monday morning, officials said.

The name of the victim was not released but officials said the worker was doing maintenance work on a Boeing 737 when he was sucked into the engine.

"It was a Boeing 737 and was doing an engine run up for a maintenance problem and a person was sucked into the engine," said Roland Herwig, a spoksesman for the Federal Aviation Administration in Oklahoma City.

Herwig referred inquiries to the National Transportation Safety Board, which is conducting an investigation of the incident, which occurred between 9 and 10 a.m.

Continental Airlines spokesman David Messing said a worker for one of Continental's suppliers was servicing the plane when the incident occurred.

Several Continental flights had been delayed while authorities investigated, but it was not known how many flights.

Continental Airlines Chairman and CEO Larry Kellner issued the following statement: “My fellow co-workers and I extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends of the mechanic involved in this tragic event,” Kellner said. “Continental is coordinating assistance for passengers who need help dealing with this tragedy.

Continental’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) team is also flying to El Paso to meet with employees.”

Read the full story in tomorrow's El Paso Times

My sympathies, thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Not a particularly good thing.

Very sorry for the family. It makes you think, though. Doesn't it? We'd all like to think something like that won't happen to us. Just like getting something loose caught in a drillpress, grabbing hot metal while welding, a confined space incident in a fuel cell or hell hole or dry bay. We've all seen various degres of industrial accidents taking place the job. Lost fingers, toes, burns, cuts, breaks. All a far cry from engien ingestion.

But not really. Anybody ever fail to release air pressure from a tire assy wen removing the crossbolts? Or at least start before realizing what you were doing? Or wash an engine or parts in avgas? Or any of the other things we do that could get us hurt or killed by inattention on a day to day basis? (like years of using Stoddard solvent to clean parts without skin protection? My hands burn for days now when I get solvent on them...probably an accumulated allergy or something along those lines.

A few times now I've ended up close to the propeller, or intake during engine runs, and have thought later how easy it would be to make a mistake. Working on a light piston airplane, for example, standing behind the prop...moving forward just a little bit would be all it might take.

Very sorry to hear of the accident. The best that can be said is that hopefully others will learn and it will prevent another. Condolences to the family.

That's something we all MUST consider everytime we get to work, from daily use of skydroll and other products to engine run up's and walking on wings...
Today at work (yes, i worked today, sunday!) a co-worker (only 1 month at airplanes) almost fell off the DC-10 wing, then i told him, you must be twice as carefull here, cos here, the little thing will kill you.
What we all must know is, at our job, to be the "macho" who doesn't need safety equipments, will probebly get you killed.
So, to you all, do it safe, or don't do it at all.

Does your company enforce the use of fall protection while working on wings, stabs ect...

I've seen one advertized in AMT magazine. Its like a giant suction cup that you hook shop air into to create a vacuum, then you hook the line from your harness to it. Easy and quick to set up, and very portable. Works wherever you have shop air

My fellow coworker was in El Paso shortly after this accident happened. Heard that the Mech.'s hat was sucked off his head and he just reached for it and the engine sucked him in. Feel terribly for his family. Just remember to use your head when working on running motors. I have had close calls and I'm sure yall have too. Be careful and remember how dangerous our jobs can be.

sbn340mech said:
Does your company enforce the use of fall protection while working on wings, stabs ect...

I've seen one advertized in AMT magazine. Its like a giant suction cup that you hook shop air into to create a vacuum, then you hook the line from your harness to it. Easy and quick to set up, and very portable. Works wherever you have shop air

They claim to "enforce" the protection equipment, but the fact is that no-one uses the protection and every department there has a list of employes injured at work...
At least i'm really concerned about my safety... as everyone there should be.

Seems that i'm changing jobs in a few monts... a friend from GE-Celma (Rio's Engine Overhaul Shop) told me that will be a few job openings in the next week and i had already submited my resumee... So send me good vibes so i can "upgrade" my career.

Best regards to all,

Rafael Thielmann

Latest resources

Back