Mechanic in house for BE-30

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

grumman38

What do you guys think about an in house mechanic for a large KingAir? I know some people laugh @ the idea but we dont have decent maint on our field and pay quite a bit for reposition cost. We go to pretty good places and the cost to repair even small interior problems is staggering!Small problem with a drawer, 400 bucks, it doesn't take long! I also like the oversite and ability to bounce ideas off someone else?

The money you save by having good, regular maintenance will more than offset whatever you pay to have someone around. Why laugh? It's an airplane, and it needs attention. A mechanic on staff is a very wise investment.

Just don't go making the mistake of thinking it's so funny you shouldn't pay the mechanic a professional wage.

In house mechanic

I know many single BE20 operators running with a in house mechanic. I personally think it's a great idea. If you can get the boss to spring for it an in house mechanic is by far the way to go. However, like avbug said remember you are hiring a professional and plan to pay a professional wage for anyone that's good. Also, just like flight crew it's important that mx training be made available to your company mechanic. The last thing I would like to add is don't plan on your mechanic being able to do all of the inspections. They may be legally able to do so, but some of the mx inspections/issues require additional labor or equipment.

We shared a hanger with another operator, we also shared the engineer, just for starters, we reached midlife on our engines, they were split and then immediately reinstalled, in perfect condition, a lot had to do with battery maintenance, I highly recommend having your own mechanic.

Latest resources

Back