Mechanic going rate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

diggertwo

Does anyone know a realistic range for a mechanic to do part time work on a tube and fabric plane? I'd be providing the shop and the tools, all I need is babysitting and homework as the project progresses that will be checked by the mechanic.

Is it a certified airplane or a homebuilt ? You will probably get a wide variety of answers on price as someones price varies with their experience and what kind of sign off is required.
For me if it was an experimental I would probably want about 20/hour. It also depend on what needs to be done. If it needs a complete recovering and it is a certified airframe you would need an IA sign off. So if thats the case expect to pay more.

I would suggest finding some one with tube and fabric experience. They dont even teach that in most A&P schools these days. Now its more on composites.

Good luck-Balou

Twenty an hour is a bargain.

My basic rate is fifty an hour, but is adjusted when a lot of work is required, vs. a little, and may vary with the attitude of the client.

If I have a lot of work to do, such as a recovering, twenty to twenty five an hour, if appropriate quarters are available. If I'm having to do it under less than desirable conditions, the price may go up accordingly. General work, I'll typically go at twenty five an hour, especially if it's just extra side work.

I also look at what others around me are charging, and take efforts not to undercut them.

All of the above sounds like a bargain. Around here (northern California) the going rate is ~80 /hr and I haven't seen any breaks when the hours get long... you can find a few shade tree mechanics for less, but then you're probably going to need to work around the schedule of a guy who has another day job... any shop with charge you at least 80.

Latest resources

Back