• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MEA vs MOCA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you file the Victor Airway, you gotta stay at or above MEA. If you file direct from Navaid A to Navaid B, you can use the MOCA.

User997 said:
Which may work great, until you lose your GPS integrity signal, and now you find yourself on an airway, underneath the MEA, chacnes are more then 22NM from a VOR, and no form of navigation! DOHH!!!
Nice avatar, craptacular real life IFR experience...you'll make a great regional pilot.

satpak77 said:
MVA is the only "altitude" (for our discussion) that is radar dependent. It is Minimum Vectoring Altitude. It has always been my interpretating that MEA (Note, it means MINIMUM) altitude is "worst case" scenario, lost-comm, no radar, etc.

If you are AT MEA, and you get an engine failure, problems, etc, now you are immediately below MEA, playing catch-up.

Always be ABOVE MEA when possible, and AT the MEA at all other times.
To answer all of your questions...no, you freaking bone head. GRB offered me MOCA once this year while I was flying slash "G" in some really bad icing conditions with tops to 30,000...it was the only option for safe flight.

Once I got within 20 miles of KGRB, homies wanted their manuvering room back. Good thing I had reached an area where I could fly cardinal IFR alititudes safely...or else I would have had to have faked radio failure and said..."Yahooo Green Bay, I'm broadcasting in the blind...I gotta stay at MOCA until yadda yadda...can't hear what you're saying...too much static...good night, love you bye bye!"

Satpak is correct. MOCA is primarily to be used in the event of an engine failure or other safety related situation that would prevent you from being able to maintain the MEA. Otherwise, you should be at least at the MEA.

Last edited:
SkyBoy1981 said:
Satpak is correct. MOCA is primarily to be used in the event of an engine failure or anything else that would prevent you from being able to maintain the MEA. Otherwise, you should be at least at the MEA.

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S.

Hahaha...that's why I would never get an ICC from a regional puke.

what the hell are MEA and MOCA???????? :)
the only thing i care about is the MVA (minimum vectoring altitude)

SkyBoy1981 said:
Satpak is correct. MOCA is primarily to be used in the event of an engine failure or other safety related situation that would prevent you from being able to maintain the MEA. Otherwise, you should be at least at the MEA.
blah blah blah blah blah. So why prey tell is the MOCA on the chart to begin with?

And don't give me that 22 Nautical mile crap, cause they don't DELINIATE that distance on the freaking chart. Look at one, where do you see the 22 mile MOCA markings?...no where.

GRB offered MOCA, I TOOK IT. I can't help it if you never flew ifr except under a hood or with someone else who was responsible for the flight.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back