MEA question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hotwings402

Your on a airway, you've been cleared to for 5000 feet as filed etc. The mea is 6000 feet and your in radar contact, you know that you are safe obstacle wise. Are you safe? Is it legal? I believe the airway I'm refering to is in New York with a MEA of like 9 or 12000 feet. What do you do in this case? Ask for higher?

If you are in radar contact at that altitude you would have to be above the MVA in that area.

You won't be cleared on an airway below the MEA. What ATC will do, if they want you at that lower altitude is give you a different clearance like "Direct" to the VOR you are already navigating to on the airway. You are now on a direct routing, not the airway, even though you are flying the exact same course. In that case the MEA does not apply, just the minimum IFR altitude and the MVA.

The term radar contact only means ATC can see you...it does not assure you of obstruction clearance or anything else.

When ATC gives you a vector, you can be assured that it will NEVER be below the minimum vectoring altitude...

the point is that radar contact doesn't afford a pilot any protection, other than the fact that ATC has identified you on his screen...

just because you go below the MVA doesn't mean ATC can't see you

Singlecoil said:
You won't be cleared on an airway below the MEA. What ATC will do, if they want you at that lower altitude is give you a different clearance like "Direct" to the VOR you are already navigating to on the airway. You are now on a direct routing, not the airway, even though you are flying the exact same course. In that case the MEA does not apply, just the minimum IFR altitude and the MVA.

Well I was, did'nt notice it till I was on it, and it was'nt a factor in safety so I did'nt do anything about it. I was not really IMC anyways.

Latest resources

Back