Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MDW runways to get shorter (no rev. thr. credit anymore)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that ATA Airlines, and their operation, doesn't allow for ANY clutter on the MDW runways. I realize they are (were) flying bigger, heavier planes (737-800 and 757) into MDW.... so that may factor in, requiring stricter inputs.

Also, I think the allowance of reverse thrust in landing calculations was an aircraft/air carrier specific thing. Most of the other operators at MDW, and others in general, have never used reverse thrust to calculate landing distances. Perhaps it was a 737-700 thing?

In all jets that I have flown, there have been times when getting the reverses out took a few seconds delay. Fortunately, I had more concrete in front of me. I hope this all works out for the best for everyone.....

Capt was flying and the F/O put the Thrust Rev out? Wonder how those dynamics worked.

FedEx1 said:
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that ATA Airlines, and their operation, doesn't allow for ANY clutter on the MDW runways. I realize they are (were) flying bigger, heavier planes (737-800 and 757) into MDW.... so that may factor in, requiring stricter inputs.

Also, I think the allowance of reverse thrust in landing calculations was an aircraft/air carrier specific thing. Most of the other operators at MDW, and others in general, have never used reverse thrust to calculate landing distances. Perhaps it was a 737-700 thing?

In all jets that I have flown, there have been times when getting the reverses out took a few seconds delay. Fortunately, I had more concrete in front of me. I hope this all works out for the best for everyone.....

ATA uses WET data, which allows for some clutter, and WSR data which doesn't allow for much at all. (There's also DRY data.) Also, reverse thrust is not part of the calculation. We have books in the cockpit which don't allow for much precision compared to SWA's OCS's. The B757's stop much better than the -800's and can have slower approach speeds. The B75's are much better suited for MDW than the B73's.

holdon said:
Capt was flying and the F/O put the Thrust Rev out? Wonder how those dynamics worked.

He reached over and pulled them back. Way too late.

Mugs said:
I was wondering how SWA and other MDW operators account for a contaminated runway on takeoff. Do they take weight penalties into account for say 1/2" wet snow reported covering the runway? This type of penalty would seem to be extremely restrictive for an airport like MDW as far as I can tell.

there are penalties taken for all of that

RJET said:
Therefore, the National Transportation Safety Board recommends that the Federal Aviation Administration:
Immediately prohibit all 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 121 operators from using the reverse thrust credit in landing performance calculations.
The media is stating that it was ruled "pilot error". But it could also be mechanical if the thurst rev.. did not deploy properly.

Funny how there has yet to be a hearing....the investigation is still ongoing and yet, "the media" is already stating that it was ruled Pilot error...sheesh !!!

Tejas

Latest resources

Back