MDW here comes Airtran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA & AirTRAN should merge into ATA.

BTW, SWA not hiring a 5 year pilot or whatever from ATA because he didn't interview well, is pretty stupid, in my opinion. I've have two not so pleasant experiences with the SWA PD, quota filling morons. If they need one green person cuz Big Brutha says so, but they have two blues that are more qualified, they still need that green. Thats a fact, jack

Last edited:
Metro752,

What are you talking about? Are you saying that Southwest should hand out a job because they feel sorry for someone?

Maybe you need to step back and really look at your "not so pleasant experiences" and try to figure out what went wrong. I have a buddy that should have been hired in 2002...didn't get the call. He thought it went well but after the letter came he started to reflect/look back and decided that is was not that great of an interview. He is in the process now and hopefully things went better this time around.

Besides, this thread is about AirTran taking over the World...or something like that....

Unfortunately, some did not interview so well.
Can you define this for me?After three tried I'm clueless. In more ways than one.

Lots of ATA folks jumped infront of many applicants here at SWA. That is a fact.
I reject that statment.About 50 interviewed with SWA as part of the preferential interview process. Less than 10 were hired. I think the number was 8, not sure. This "advantage" as you and others have called it, was less than one in five hiring rate. Many more than 50 have applied in the last year and a half outside the pref. interview, and less than 1/5 have been hired.

You can reject it all you want.... But the 50 or so that interviewed waited less time for an interview then many in the application stack. It took my buddy 3 years to get a call w/ the type.

I have no idea why you were not hired? I have no idea why I wasn't hired at Fed Ex..... If you think its some conspircy then so be it.

I know SWA doesn't like to waste money. Why waste money interviewing ATA guys if you know from the start you don't want them.

SWA/FO said:
I have no idea why I wasn't hired at Fed Ex. I know SWA doesn't like to waste money. Why waste money interviewing ATA guys if you know from the start you don't want them.

I know why you weren't hired by FedEx...they saw what a DIK you are!

How can you possibly make a blanket statement like " Why waste money interviewing ATA guys if you know from the start you don't want them"

That is about the stupidest thing I have seen here for ohhh....20 minutes or so. The guys I have flown with at ATA have been nothing but 100% professional. I will miss them all (well, almost all) very much.

Enjoy!

I just want to make it to retirement. 20 Years to go baby.(maybe 25).. I hope the industry settles down a bit. It certainly is getting a little too sporty.

Orange Belly Money Makers... Green Tail Penny Pinchers..... Its all good. Just dont take away my damn jacket !! Take away my jacket and my hat stays at home !

I'm hoping for that MSP Virtual Base Baby !!! I think we need a gate that will accomodate 717's !!! ATA's ramp is tore up !! and What about contract MX now ? Without ATA MX ... who's gonna fill the hydraulic res up on occasion ? The ATA gate will not go low enough for a 9.... ie why ATA got it from MAC via NWA......

Dont call him a DIK.... Thats not professional....

..... He's ok.... He cant help he's got a little orange crush goin on.....

I do agree.... They should have hired the ATA fellas without too much discourse.... As long as they didnt have any odd habits and or wild haircuts.

Anywhoo.... AirTran would be more than happy to take em... After they get done hiring the FlyI fellas... I understand that is the flavor of the day ?? Good folks too..... But C'mon... Get the 737 fellas from ATA on board.... Better Landings on the way hopefully !!!! Good midwestern values and work ethic.

HalinTexas said:
I reject that statment.About 50 interviewed with SWA as part of the preferential interview process. Less than 10 were hired. I think the number was 8, not sure. This "advantage" as you and others have called it, was less than one in five hiring rate. Many more than 50 have applied in the last year and a half outside the pref. interview, and less than 1/5 have been hired.

I am not saying that 8 out 50 is a good number and I wish we could hire everybody! But when I hired on in 1992 the ratio was 1 out of 12 that got hired at SWA. So the numbers your using are pretty much in line with what has happened in the past if not slightly better than my era. As you know the industry is in the worst shape I have every seen in my 24 year carrer so far and competition if fierce to say the least. There isnt much logic sometimes when it comes down to airline interviewing. Some guys have to scrap along all there lives and dont get many interviews/job offers and some get hired with every airline they apply to. I was in the scraper catagory getting hired at 2 out of 7 airline interviews. I sincerely wish all the ATA folks the best and hope things workout for us both!

Sorry for getting off topic here...............

ATA For Now! said:
How can you possibly make a blanket statement like " Why waste money interviewing ATA guys if you know from the start you don't want them"

I read that to mean, Southwest would not spend money interviewing ATA pilots, just for the sake of being nice. They only spend money to interview who looks best for SWA, and I would include that to be many of the ATA pilots. Do they miss the mark sometimes? Of course. I think every SWA pilot can name at least one or two friends that were turned down at the interview, and were dumbfounded by the result. The ATA pilots I have encountered are top notch, and I believe that we are missing out on a lot of great pilots. The people who decide who gets on at SWA, are the only ones who can explain why. And they don't talk.

Latest resources

Back